Ok to shake bottles after 1 week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegstand

Reaction score
Would shaking them after a week of sitting help get the yeast and sugar working again? I want to make sure my batch is fully carbonated. Is there any benefit to this or should I keep my dirty little hands away from the beer and just be patient?

Shaking probably won't have any effect at all, but won't hurt. You can't bruise your beer. If they're not carbing it's most likely due to low temperature. I'm waiting on a slow-to-carb batch right now, but they're on the floor of the coolest room in my place (60F-68F). Try to keep it at 70F if you can. Don't try to use a heater to warm your beer up quickly and speed up carbonation. The potential for overheating is too great. Just let it happen.

Ive always been too afraid to shake the bottles but I basically just roll them on a countertop to get the settled yeast back into the beer. I usually do it once after a week of conditioning. it wont hurt anything...

Ive always been too afraid to shake the bottles but I basically just roll them on a countertop to get the settled yeast back into the beer. I usually do it once after a week of conditioning. it wont hurt anything...

...unless you used too much priming sugar, keep the bottles in a warm spot, and like to shake them regularly. Beware of a bottle bomb to the face.

You could just leave them alone and get the same results with less cloudy beer.

The only time I've messed with them is a big Belgian strong that was taking a long time to carb. After 3-4 weeks, I gently inverted all the bottles to resuspend the yeast. By the 6 week mark they were carbed, but I have no idea if the inversion helped.

Would shaking them after a week of sitting help get the yeast and sugar working again? I want to make sure my batch is fully carbonated. Is there any benefit to this or should I keep my dirty little hands away from the beer and just be patient?

Don't do this...no need! Your beers will carb....RDWHAHB!

Latest posts

Back