Help Going to a Full Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
I live in a loft/condo. 3 flights up! I want to go to a full boil, but don't have a lot of options. I could:

a) do it in the loft. It is a big place, 18 ft ceilings. Wood floors, kind of scares me.

b) go outside, carrying everything down 3 flights of stairs, then carrying it all back up afterwards.

c) try to figure out some way to do it in 2 pots on my electric stove at the same time.

What do you think?

a) do it in the loft. It is a big place, 18 ft ceilings. Wood floors, kind of scares me.

Im going to catch hell for this, but I would do it in the loft. ONLY if you have good cross ventilation. Also hopefully you have a good ceiling fan, and if it's a drywall ceiling, it may darken over time from open boiling. I've done 20 batches in my garage with no ill effects to the ceiling yet, but I boil under a ceiling fan and have a fan blowing on the boil from the side.

I wouldn't take the chance. If something goes wrong, its not only your home thats going to be destroyed. I'm going to assume you have no balcony. Did you plan to use a gas burner for this??

As much of a pain I am sure it is, I would just drag everything down and do it outside.

You could also go the electic route that some brewers are going, where by the adding a heating element to the kettle.

There have been alot of creative people in the homebrew community that have came up with ways to brew inside such an enclosed space.

I'm a frail weakling so carrying it around would be right out for me, I have trouble maneuvering the pot as it is.

How big is your pot? If it's a decent size you shouldn't be too worried about boil-overs on an electric range, they are usually kind of weak... just watch it like a hawk.

I've done my last three brews full boil in my kitchen on a gas stove. 30qt turkey fryer pot. I usually put the pot on two burners at once to get it going really well. No boil overs yet but I watch it closely!

Do you have a wort chiller? Chilling a full boil without one is tough.

I would;

1.) Buy a BIG assed Fire Extinguisher. (But small enough my frail weakling ass can still lift and point it)

2.) Buy a largish square of 1/16 to 1/8 Aluminum (Small enough to still fit under a bed) to place under the burner system as a psuedo heat shield and boil over mat.

3.) Get a CO detector

And do it in the loft. (40) ±212º pounds of syrup is a LOT to carry 3 flights of stairs.

People have been cooking on open flames indoors for centuries without incident so, why oh why with todays technology is it so infeasible to even consider such a thing.

Just don't be an idiot and leave the thing burning and un-attended. And for gods sake don't do this over carpet or linoleum. Wood, eh, okay. Ceramic = Perfect. At least 5 foot from any walls.

You could also go the electic route that some brewers are going, where by the adding a heating element to the kettle.

There have been alot of creative people in the homebrew community that have came up with ways to brew inside such an enclosed space.

Thats the route I'd go if I were you

Latest posts

Back