• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Iowa 20 gal steam kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rxbrewer16

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon stainless steel steam jacketed kettle I would like to sell/trade. Southbend KECT-20 is the make/model. I spoke with a guy at a restaurant equipment distributor about this piece and he said they are worth about $2,000 for this age and condition (which it is is in good condition!). I understand that is a lot of money, especially for homebrewing, but I figured I would throw it out here and see if anybody is in the market for something like this. It comes with a basket and lid (both stainless). This would be great for either BIAB or traditional brewing setups. I would also entertain trade on other homebrew equipment. Thanks for looking.

I should also mention it is self contained 220V, and does work. It had 20 gallons of water at a rolling boil with no problem.

Here's a picture of the beast.

IMG_20150524_173931070.jpg

I see a thermometer. Are there other ports (e.g. ball valve, thermowell)?

There is a pressure release valve on the rear, as well as a water inlet to the interior of the steam jacket. The interior of the kettle portion
is seamless. The kettle portion tilts >90° toward the front of the machine, and has a type of funnel to contain the pour.

I think the price the restaurant equipment distributor gave you is probably what a commercial kitchen might consider.

yeah, I figured it would be higher than the value a homebrewer would assess, but that is really the only value I have been given. I really don't expect to get that much out of it, but am definitely open to offers.

Great piece of equipment. Have a Vulcan jacketed kettle at work. Picked it up at an auction for under $500 and another $300 for service to make sure everything was good to go. It is a beast. No issues with scorching soups. Mschuri, I believe that is a pressure gauge, it must maintain a vacuum at a room temp to make sure there is a good jacket seal and the pressure relief valve isn't leaking.

yes, that gauge on the front is a pressure gauge reading the pressure of the steam jacket.

priced at $1,500. delivery still negotiable. going to be moving soon and don't need this at the new place:)

Back