Love TSS2 WITH 2 Probes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
I've seen the wiring diagram on how to wire this controller with 2 probes, but haven't seen anyone using it this way yet.

I will be using 1 probe to control the Freezer and another for a ferm wrap or brew belt when I am doing an Ale at the same time as a lager. Is anyone else using it this way? If so have you found a good set of parameters and settings that work well for you?

I will be receiving the controller tomorrow and the freezer on Thursday and would like to plug it all in and get going!

Do you mean to say that you will have the Ale in the freezer with a heating belt on it at the same time as you are doing your Lager, or are you planning on having the Ale outside the freezer with a heater on it?

I ask because if you keep the ale in the freezer with a heating belt on it, you are forcing the freezer to remove all the heat you are putting into the heating belt. I don't imagine that it will force the freezer to run constantly, but it will make it run much more often. Not very good for the freezer or your wallet.

I don't think it's too odd to try to warm up one vessel inside a cold box. When you think about it, you cool the fridge in your kitchen while you heat the kitchen itself during winter. One could make the argument that everyone should keep their fridge outside in the winter.

It's more like having a fire going in the summer to keep the cat warm while the AC is keeping the dog cool. Sure, it may work, but the AC is going to have to work harder.

Granted, the brew belt is only 15 watts. I'd assume there would be just about zero problem if you put a piece of foam insulation in the freezer to separate the two climate regions.

It's more like having a fire going in the summer to keep the cat warm while the AC is keeping the dog cool. Sure, it may work, but the AC is going to have to work harder.

Granted, the brew belt is only 15 watts. I'd assume there would be just about zero problem if you put a piece of foam insulation in the freezer to separate the two climate regions.

I realize that I would be generating heat while trying to cool. I thought that putting a thin layer of insulation all around the carboy and the ferm wrap would keep the heat from entering the freezer (at a higher rate) and force it back into the carboy. Also if it's possible putting a 1" piece of foam board between then carboys.

Latest posts

Back