My Saison Dupont clone is down from OG 1.060 to FG 1.006 in 11 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I brewed Saison Dupont clone exactly to the partial-mash recipe and direction of the Clone Brews book, except I used WLP566 Belgian Saison II yeast.
I aerated the heck out of the wort and I also did a 24 hour 2-pint starter.

Fermented it in primary for 11 days and I am down to 1.006 FG. OG was 1.060. No, it is no a mistake. Book says FG supposed to be 1.015ish.

Did I mess something up?

Nope sometimes the yeast will eat more than you think. I brew a Wit on a regular basis and the FG varies somewhat all the time. no one knows the difference when I serve it. Sounds like you got a good beer there.

Those must have been very happy yeast. That is a lot of progress in 11 days and the dang airlock is not even quiet yet in the secondary

Why do you have it in secondary if it is still fermenting? (Really, why have it in secondary at all?)

Saison yeast are quirky yeast. Sometimes they will give out early. Sometimes they will chew beer down far below what you expect. Your beer should be ok. You might have used a more attenuating strain than the recipe called for.

There's a good chance it isn't fermenting your secondary. When you rack to a secondary, the agitation tends to make the beer lose the small bit of carbonation it gained during primary fermentation. Airlock activity does not equal fermentation.

I'm experiencing this with an IPA and two packets of Notty yeast rehydrated. 1.068 to 1.004. I was surprised to see this far of a drop! Thinking of calling it DryPA :mug:

There's a good chance it isn't fermenting your secondary. When you rack to a secondary, the agitation tends to make the beer lose the small bit of carbonation it gained during primary fermentation. Airlock activity does not equal fermentation.

The true test of fermentation is a hydrometer/refractometer reading

A saison that dry sounds like...an awesome saison! That feels closer to style than FG 1.015 would have been.

Well, my porter took forever to dry out and was one moody beer (it tastes great now). So I decided this time to make a two-pint starter, instead of just pitching directly. Now I know to always do a starter in the future :ban:

Back