Bleach and Hot water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BENDJOSEPH

Reaction score
I read in a thread last night that I could santize my bottles by putting them in the dishwasher with a cup of bleach. I have a book named Brewing made easy that says hot water desttroys bleaches santizing properties. Is this true?

Yes. Plus, bleach and very hot water can give off fumes that, if in an unventilated area, can be dangerous to inhale.

I doubt the dishwasher can get bleach in most of the areas of your bottles. And if they could, you'd still have to rinse them anyhow.

I use Iodophor now, but used bleach for many years. I dunked, rinsed and put them into the dishwasher for a nice rinse and dry.

BENDJOSEPH said:
I read in a thread last night that I could santize my bottles by putting them in the dishwasher with a cup of bleach.
That sounds like a really bad idea. You can certainly sanitize with a weak bleach solution followed by a good rinse with clean water. I doubt the dishwasher will accomplish that for you.

Ok, I am santizing in cold water as we speak. Is it Ok to let them soak till Thursday? That's when I am bottling.

BENDJOSEPH said:
Ok, I am santizing in cold water as we speak. Is it Ok to let them soak till Thursday? That's when I am bottling.
Give 'em a nice long soak (10 mins to overnight), rinse, and store them upside down in a clean place. Bottle when you're ready. No need to keep them in bleach for 3 days.

I won't have time to rinse them tomorrow. Will it hurt letting them soak for two days?

If you go by most health dept. code the sanitzing ability is creatly reduced after an hour. The bleach sanitizer evaporates away.

But I downt that it will hurt anything to leave them in the bucket until you need to use them. Just give 'em a good rinse.

I like the sanitizing of the bleach but Iodophor dose just a good a job, and there is no residue issue.

John

Cover your tub full of bottles. I leave mine soak in bleach for days. I figure if it still smells like public pool when I remove the cover, it's good to go. I've been using a plastic trash can, until just lately a huge Rubbermaind tub with lid. Easier to reach the bottom of the RM.

I have them soaking in a Rubbermaid tub with a cover. I will let everyone know how they came out.

Back