Sweet Cider yeast....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonedog

Reaction score
So...started two batches batches of hard cider yesterday....

Both are based as such:

2.5 gallons
1/4# corn sugar

One has the Wyeast 3068 yeast.....it is bubbling like crazy! Very exciting!

The other has the Wyeast 4184 (sweet mead)......no action.....

I got both of these going yesterday afternoon.....

Should I be worried about the 4184 batch?

I have a batch going with the sweat mead yeast as well. It is a 6 gallon batch. I have heard that the sweat mead yeast doesn't produce a lot of krausen.

The amount of Krausen is directly related to the kind of yeast used. When I used the 3068 Wyeast I had a great deal of Krausen. If you are using a wine yeast or a mead yeast you shouldn't expect much if any krausen.:mug:

Are you seeing airlock activity now?

I started a 4184 batch a few days ago with fresh unpasteurized juice and 3lbs of white sage honey. It took about 6 hours for airlock activity to start and I had to put a blowoff tube on it because it was creating so much krausen that it filled up the neck and was gumming up the airlock. It dropped in a couple days.

Did you wait for the smack pack to puff up all the way? On mine, the 4184 smack pack took several hours longer than the 3068 to puff up for some reason. If the yeast isnt fully energized, it is more likely to go into shock when it goes into the juice, but should still recover in a few days as IXVolt noted.

75F wont hurt it, but you will get a slower, smoother ferment at 65 or 70

Well as usual....I jumped the gun!

Just checked it at 1900 Hours EST....and its percolating just dandy!

Back