Cranberry and Orange extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtgleason

Reaction score
I have a 6gal carboy of cranberry wine ready for bottling.
I wanted to experiment a little so I filled a 1/4 cup with the wine.
I added a few drops of pure orange extract (89%alcohol, orange oil) to the cup.

The result taste great.

SOooo I added about 1/2 oz of the extract to the 6gal carboy of cranberry wine.

The sparkling red cranberry wine instantly was cloudy. Ugh.

Now I don't know what to do.....I am going to let it sit to see if it clears, but I'm worried I created some weird chemical reaction.

Anyone have an idea of what happened to create the cloud, and what I can do to get the sparkle back?

Thanks

Like most other questions in life (especially the brewing life), the answer is often simply wait.

I recently made a batch of plum wine that was very (although not perfectly) clear. I added the first part of SuperKleer, per directions, and the wine overnight turned crystal and gorgeous. I then added the second part -- shouldn't have bothered! -- and the wine, instead of remaining clear, turned instantly cloudy.

I had to wait over three weeks for it to clear again, but it finally did, and was gorgeous.

Wine making seems to be about nothing as much as it is about patience! I suspect your wine will be gorgeous again (and, apparently, pretty tasty!)

I hope its only a matter of patience....that I have.
The cranberrys have already been in the carboy for over a year.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Back