Priming sugar question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looneybomber

Reaction score
I need to bottle my stout that's aging on oak very soon. I also wanted to add a little lactose to sweeten it up a bit, but no one around here carries lactose. For priming sugar, I have table, dark brown, turbinado, and honey. Which sugar should I use if I’d like to leave behind a little residual sweetness? Should I add a Tbl spoon of molasses?

You could use DME, it'll leave a bit of sweetness behind because it's not 100% fermentable.

I thought of that. I'm using Wyeast 3787 and the beer was at 10.5% prior to adding the whiskey. It sat in primary for 3wks and now secondary for 3wks. I'm wondering if the yeast still has a fighting chance at eating DME?

From Wy's website:
Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 64-78F, 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11 to 12% ABV or higher

Should be good, depending on how much whiskey you added. I'd guess it'll be able to bottle condition. A beer like that's gonna need some time in the bottle anyway, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back