What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned up from yesterday's brew day. Normally, I won't leave it until morning, but...Confirmation Saturday, I got up early to get the water going, grind the grain, and boil the brown rice for the pilsner adjunct. Was worried about making it to church on time at 1pm, so I mashed in a little under temp-even with the hot rice its only came up to 138F. Figured I'd do a decoction when I came back, always wanted to try that, but 4 hours later, the decoction only rose temp 10F and the 2nd decoction did nothing other than add some flavor, so I left it off as a bad job and started the boil. Moved the blackberry sauvignon blanc into a keg for carbonation and moved the merlot into the barrel so there'd be a free fermenter for the pilsner. Boil went according to plan, but the hop stopper got clogged during cooling (rice bits?) and one of the hose attachments leaked and wouldn't stop. Last 2 gallons from the boil kettle went into the fermenter commando and warmed it up to 90F, not normally a problem, except the yeast was already in there getting aerated from the splashing, so hooked it up to the cooling system and had dinner. After dinner, still at 90F, found out the lines for the glycol chiller are clogged, so did a quick swap off the cold crashing porter into the pilsner which is now doing fine at 50F. If you find Murphy, @seatazzz, I'll bring the shovel.

WPL-001 starter for a golden ale
IMG_8806.jpeg

Continued down the rocky path to pressure fermentation. Based on extensive (snork) research last night, waiting a day or two before setting pressure to desired setting (in this case, 10psi) is desirable. It's been a day and half, yes I could have waited until tomorrow, but I'm impatient that way. Was surprisingly easy to do, and just pulled my first sample from the floating dip tube. Beer at this stage usually smells nasty to me, but all I'm smelling is good yeast. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

2nd week with a brew day! Please don't tell my boss I have this much free time on my days off.

Kegged last week's Red Rye IPA, putting a Smoked Porter on top of the cake today. Finished swapping all of the hoses and cleaning the kegerator I picked up from @Muneio. Holding temp at 35F, I love it! Also, enjoying a Troegs from @TBC's beer share. I have never had one of their beers and this is great for Flame-Out!View attachment 818825View attachment 818826View attachment 818827
Your Danby Kegerator looks nice but why didn't you drill on the top and put a tower ? Not knocking it, I have no drilling skills, I leave such business to my HS buddy who has all those skills 🤣. He's cheap too, usually a 12 pack. It still looks nice. Great Mod.

Your Danby Kegerator looks nice but why didn't you drill on the top and put a tower ? Not knocking it, I have no drilling skills, I leave such business to my HS buddy who has all those skills 🤣. He's cheap too, usually a 12 pack. It still looks nice. Great Mod.
I didn't drill it at all, it came this way, taps and all. I just gave it a deep cleaning and new hoses. I also added a 4-way CO2 splitter to the back of it so I can push CO2 into kegs at room temp or run gas to the bottle filler I just bought.

Arrived home and found my hop dropper parts were delivered Thursday. I put it together and it is exactly what I wanted. I couldn't find one from any of the homebrew vendors at a reasonable price so I ordered the parts and built it for less than half of retail cost.

View attachment 819474
Another alien probe...that or a miniature 20 kiloton nuke device. Or maybe I'm just so old school I just can't see past the ol' hop sack...Hell I was amazed when I got my 1st hop spider ! So now you gotta be an engineering physicist to add hops ??! I'm just lost in time.

I brewed an APA today. Fermenting it in a CF5 hopefully under pressure. I have had trouble getting it to hold pressure but yesterday I got it to hold 12 psi. Better than nothing. I'll transfer it to a serving keg in a week or so. I will attach a spunding valve and blow off once it starts producing Co2.
16837503159036952534460355197393.jpg

Got the grains for an American Wit, as close to a Blue Moon clone as I could figure, did some long overdue keg, fermenters, and brew pot cleaning. Got off my lazy behind and decided to check the Xmas beer which I let go..bad...bad bad ! Took a lot of courage to open that fermenter. Visions and nightmares of bacterial/viral Andromeda Strain/The Last of Us type killers coming out of there...nope. Completely surprised! No signs whatever of contamination, no foul smells, no cordiceps antenna coming at me..go figure ? It has been freezing in that garage though till this week. Too tired after all the cleaning. If it taste good, I'll keg at least half of it. Plus knocked 5 months of ice build up out of the Kegerator. Yes, again...bad bad bad brewer ! But I took the first big step leading toward summer brewing 🙂. 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_173248110.jpg
    IMG_20230510_173248110.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230510_190816701.jpg
    IMG_20230510_190816701.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230510_190837018.jpg
    IMG_20230510_190837018.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 0
All that brewing stainless steel makes me all warm and fuzzy inside !!
Finished cleaning up after yesterday's brew today. A storm ended my clean up yesterday so I had to finish today. And my CF5 is finally holding pressure so I'm purging and filling up a 1.6 gal Torpedo with free Co2. Mean while I'm sipping on another Idyle Hounds Goast Crab Pilsner.

View attachment 819899

Spending the morning cleaning/leak testing kegs, and making a yeast starter for tomorrow's pressure fermented lager. Yes I know I don't need a starter for dry yeast (going with 34/70 for this batch), but for this one I'm being overly cautious; will be on 15psi from the time I pitch until transferring. Want to make sure plenty of good hungry yeast in there. Also I need practice at it. Don't have a stir plate, just going to leave it on the counter and swirl it around every time I walk past it.

A grand+ for a mill for home brewing - vs standing up wind?

Cheers! 😁
Had a bad week and this just happen to piss me off the most. Was considering the brewtech but the portly gentlemans review kinda turned me off, plus the short someone had on it. Just said if im gonna do it might as well do it right lmao.

I hope I haven't screwed up, but I'm carbonating a Czech Pils using the over flow Co2 off a fermenting APA. It didn't dawn on me that it may become an issue until it was well under way. Oh well I filled 4 other kegs with free Co2. We will soon find out, the Pils needs about two more weeks of lagering before I tap it.

Last edited:
Yesterday I finally transferred the pressure-fermented cream ale, and immediately regretted the floating dip tube. Didn't get clogged but just wouldn't keep flowing. So I quickly reinstalled the long metal diptube and finished it that way. If the beer isn't great it's okay, it's my first try anyway. So for today's brew I cut the diptube down about 1.5" and will go that way instead. Found one of those nifty ridgid pipe cutters in dad's old toolbox, did a great job with minimal effort.

I took my new Riptide for a test pump by hooking it up to my boil kettle and seeing how it handled whirlpooling water just off the boil. Worked like a champ, unlike my two Chuggers (purchased used), which kept stalling out when the wort got hot. Took me forever to figure out it was the pump and not my dumbassary. I toyed with the idea of replacing parts, or even doing the Riptide upgrade on one of them, but ultimately, I sprang for the 'tide. Magnets seem a lot more powerful, and it's easier to clean.

I then got it mounted to my brewery control center, pictured here with the Chugger still installed. The second Chugger had already been replaced with a little solar heater recirc pump attached right to the output of the HLT. Those little $25 pumps are perfect for recirculating the water in HLT and for sparging.
IMG_20221015_114225092.jpg

Then over on the cold side, I tinkered with my glycol chiller build. I've already torn apart a window AC and got the heat exchanger bent out and into position. Today I'm testing the worthiness of the drain on the cooler to make sure it's up to the long-term job of holding back the glycol without a slow drip.

Also finally ordered a 30amp 240v GFCI circuit breaker, 'cause I tired of living on the edge.

Stopped in at Lowe's during Saturday morning errands. Wifey needed some potting soil to start a pot of basil, so I snuck over to the insulation aisle and grabbed a roll of Reflectix.

Been wanting to try it. My current mix of lightweight blankets and old coats is not only klunky, but also loses ~5 degrees/hour during my BIAB mash. Hoping this helps!

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20230513_162407.jpg
    20230513_162407.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Ok, I'm sure the group is totally behind you on this, but 12 pounds per minute is crazy throughput for home brewing that I'd love to see, so you're gonna have to post a video review of that beast. Capiche?

Cheers! :D
Will do, ill wait till it gets here and put the imperial stout grist thru it. I think its like 22.5 pounds for a 5.25 gallon recipe. I dont have a shipping date yet but ill throw it up when it gets here.

Transferred an Old Ale from the conical to a carboy to cold-crash. That English yeast gets goopy..!

Attachments

• A51F084D-98B8-4F4A-9789-6C94B2474177.jpeg
    A51F084D-98B8-4F4A-9789-6C94B2474177.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 315E9FC3-3C46-43B9-91DA-E6666685A804.jpeg
    315E9FC3-3C46-43B9-91DA-E6666685A804.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Had a great time in Astoria; picked up several new stickers for the ferment fridge, had some great beers, got myself a T-shirt at Rogue, and before we left received permission to drop the hammer on the Fermzilla kit from Morebeer. Hell of a deal at $123.99, that includes all the pressure fermenting stuff needed. Can't wait for it to get here!

I hope I haven't screwed up, but I'm carbonating a Czech Pils using the over flow Co2 off a fermenting APA. It didn't dawn on me that it may become an issue until it was well under way. Oh well I filled 4 other kegs with free Co2. We will soon find out, the Pils needs about two more weeks of lagering before I tap it.
Nothing wrong with experiment!! Many miracles happen from unintentional happenings !!!

Ok so today bucked up the courage to transfer the 5 months late Xmas white and do a taste test after 5 Hail Marys!!! Lordie B it actually taste very good ! Orange peel and coriander still coming through! I watched it like a hawk during transfer. Absolutely no uglies visible in the beer or on side or at the bottom of the fermenter. I know you can't always tell by looking and smelling but the taste is a good indicator. Thank the Beer Lords that garage was pretty darned cold till a little over a week ago. So I guess I ended up with an unintentional lager.

Attachments

• IMG_20230515_175646082.jpg
    IMG_20230515_175646082.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230515_175659058_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230515_175659058_HDR.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230515_180359096_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230515_180359096_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230515_180645311.jpg
    IMG_20230515_180645311.jpg