Fermentation ended but krausen hasnt fallen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schind

Reaction score
I currently have my first batch (wheat beer) in the fermenter, the krausen is still sitting on top, but it seems that the fermentation has ended (no bubbles in airlock) yes I know this is a bad indication but science says there must be some air escaping if fermentation is still occurring. When I say no bubbling I mean not one since Tuesday. I was just curious how long the Krausen stays on top.

Yeast: Wyeast 3068

Expected OG: 1.051
Actual OG: 1.051
Expected FG: 1.016

Sunday 8:00PM: Pitched at 1.051 (right on!:ban:)
Monday 11:00AM: Krausen up to the lid of my 6.5 gal bucket
Tuesday: 1.024 and krausen at 1 inch above liquid
Wednesday: Didn't check
Thursday: 1.022 and krausen a little lower

This may be normal but it seems like the gravity dropped too hard and that it still should be bubbling away. I'm not worried, i know it'll turn out fine, I am just wondering if it's normal to have uber-hyper-fermentation like I did.

airlock activity is a funny thing. I sneezed yesterday and my airlocks stopped bubbling. Just kidding, but yeah, airlock activity is no sign of fermentation.

1.022 is still a bit high and 4 days is not long enough.

People here will tell you that the only way to tell if fermentation has stopped is when your gravity readings have been consistent for 3 days.

You probably have a leak somewhere so CO2 is not being forced out the airlock. As pointed out your SG is still high and the continued presence of the krausen indicates fermentation continues.

GT

You probably have a leak somewhere so CO2 is not being forced out the airlock. As pointed out your SG is still high and the continued presence of the krausen indicates fermentation continues.

GT

Ditto. If you have 2ndary, sanitize, rack to it and cap w/ another airlock. If not, let it sit for a total of 3 weeks. Then check it out for gravity, you should be ready to bottle by then.

The best advice is to go buy some good beer and forget about it for a bit.

Back