grolsch bottle failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khyber

Reaction score
Used two Grolsch bottles in the mix for the n00b's scorched red ale - 3.5 weeks of carbing, using carb tabs.. and refrigerated for 3 days.. and popped the tops.. and.. Flat. no carb at all.

I used the original gaskets, but sterilized them and turned them over.. I'm guessing that's really not the way to proceed with that.

The rest of the bottles are carbed ok - just not those two.

So... you only used two Grolsch bottles, and re-used the gaskets (flipping them over) and the normal bottles carbed up just fine.

Sounds like they didn't seal well.

Apparently Grolsch gaskets are like underwear. Clean them and re-use them... but don't turn them inside out!

I was told to boil my gasket/seals and then place them on the top, applying a small amount of pressure when flipping the top up....mine have carbed up perfect...

Those little gaskets are like underwear, eventually you will have to replace them. I also learned that lesson. It was due to worn gaskets. I replaced them and now they work great. Just make sure the tops are perfectly centered over the opening, not cockeyed and you should not have any problems. J

well, i broke open another one today.. was a land shark lager bottle - and it was flat. we are definitely having some carb issues somewhere. Used the recommended number of carb tabs per bottle.. it sat in the dark for 3 weeks.. just.. not sure what went wrong. How would i know if it didn't get a good seal on the bottle?

I wrote this in a similar thread about Grolsch bottles on saturday...

How do you know that you have leaky seals as opposed to just not having all of the batch of beer carbed up yet? Did you actually test the seals? or is it simply because some bottles are carbed and others aren't?

Often when a batch is not fully carbed, it's usually, just that ALL the bottles weren't ready yet, simple as that. Each bottle is it's own little microcosm, and they are all going to come to come up to carb in their own sweet time. You're dealing with yeast, a living microrganism and since it's alive it has it's own agenda.

When we say 3 weeks at 70 degrees, we say that that's usually the average minimum time it's going to takes.

If if bottles aren't ready by then, then you just gotta wait some more.

I've had beers that have taken 6-8 weeks before they were all carbed up. My Belgian strong took 3 months.

True you do have the variable of them being flippies, BUT if you bought them brand new it is unlikely that you got bad seals....it's possible, but I doubt it....

If you haven't already popped those bottles to test them, rather than rebottling them I would get a few latex gloves, cut off the fingers and use those over the seals on the bottle, stretching it down below the entire flipper mechanism (with large or extra large gloves the thumb, index and middle fingers work the best without tearing.)

Then I would shake those bottles to resuspend the yeast and stick them in a warm place for a couple weeks....if the "balloons" look like the have expanded the you might have leaks but if it doesn't AND you come back to the bottles and they are carbed, then more than likely those bottles were simply not ready yet, and may have been completely carbed up eventually anyway.

My experience has been that most carbonation problems are lack of patience and nothing is usually wrong. Although you do have more of a risk of actually having problem with the seals then if you were using crown caps...BUT having never bought brand new flippies AND never having replaced the seals on mine, I have NEVER had any leaky seals I have had fine carbonation over 5 or 6 bottling uses.. So I'm going to lean towards the not being done.

I write extensively about bottle carbonation here Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

But i the future when you bottle with these babies, you could consider doing some quality control by grabbing a few bottles out of a batch at random and using the "balloon method" on them to double check.

In fact I would mark these bottles with a grease pencil or piece of tape, and then make sure to balloon these as well as a dozen random samples from the bottles that you know worked fine....

Hope this helps. :mug:

You might give my rubber glove idea some thought.

I wrote this in a similar thread about Grolsch bottles on saturday...

You might give my rubber glove idea some thought.

I bought my flip-top bottles new and used them for two batches of IPA. On both occassions I experienced 50% carbed and 50% undercarbonated beer. I have not yet determined that the bottle are the cause of this but I strongly suspect them at this point. I am sure that there are tricks to maximizing seal effectiveness with these bottles but it will be a while before I use them again.

I bought my flip-top bottles new and used them for two batches of IPA. On both occassions I experienced 50% carbed and 50% undercarbonated beer. I have not yet determined that the bottle are the cause of this but I strongly suspect them at this point. I am sure that there are tricks to maximizing seal effectiveness with these bottles but it will be a while before I use them again.

After buying 9 cases of flip top bottles, I'm giving up on them. Carbonation has been very inconsistent (even after months of conditioning) with 10-20% not carbing at all.

Bottling process - old bottles cleaned in dishwasher - also some new bottles - rinsed with water - all bottles rinsed with starsan and allowed to drain right before bottling - all equipment sterilzed with starsan. - 4 carb tabs/bottle used. then capped with bottle caps rinsed in starsan.

Latest posts

Back