Squeeze The Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder999

Reaction score
I started using hops bags instead of just pitching them in as per kit instructions. When I remove them should I avoid squeezing the juice from them? I know grain bags should not be squeezed due to tannins but does that apply to hops? And what about dry hopping, should squeezing be avoided there as well?

I always sanitise some tongs and squeeze my hop-bags to get the liquid out. It's not so much to get all the hop goodness out, but more because the hops can hold quite a lot of wort/beer and it would be a terrible shame to let that go to waste.

I always sanitise some tongs and squeeze my hop-bags to get the liquid out. It's not so much to get all the hop goodness out, but more because the hops can hold quite a lot of wort/beer and it would be a terrible shame to let that go to waste.

+1 to that! We use our spoon and squeeze the hops bag against the side of the pot!

Tongs....hmmmm....makes more sense than my "dunk hands in sanitizer for a minute and than cuss as I burn my hands on the hops bag.....":cool:

Latest posts

Back