Adding the wrong sugar at the wrong time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholica

Reaction score
Well I was doing good and learning fast until the brew I made yesterday.. I got a partial mash recipe that was quite small (2.5 Gal) And looked easy and quick enough. And Upon advice I added sugar. But the wrong kind.

I failed to get the full instructions ..I should say he failed to give them to me.. Anyways.. I was supposed to add the sugar after the fermentation had already started and It was supposed to be dextrose not sucrose :mad:

After flame out I directly added about a half of a pound (1 cup to be exact) of table sugar to my wort..So ooops!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the original recipe:
3.3 lbs Briess golden Light LME
1/2 lb Briess Caramel Malt 40L (supposed to be 10L but LHBS only had 40L)
1/2 pound of priming sugar(Supposed to be added through fermentation But I dumped it in,oops)

hop pellet schedule in muslin sacks
.50 cascade 1 hr.
.20 cascade and .30 Centennial 20 min. same sack (centennials were my Idea)
.50 cascade 7 min.

Misc. Irish moss 15 min in muslin sack about a 1/2 tsp.(my Idea or deviation)

6g. of safale 04 ale yeast (was 11g but 6g is enough for 2.5 U.S. gallons)2weeks
3/4 tsp sugar per 12 oz bottle for carb 3 weeks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I steeped the grains about 155-157 degrees F' for 90 minutes in a muslin sack and then added half the LME for boiling the hops...after the additions and flame out I added the remaining LME and then the sugar while it was still hot..Don't want infections right..
I let it steep and cool down for about 30 minutes and added to a LBK with cold water and it was at perfect pitching temp 63 F' So I stirred and pitched the yeast and stirred again....

So I'm just double checking here with this community to seek any advice, warnings ,opinions and input on what to do with this recipe gone mad
I mean I tried his home brew before and it was O.K. ..But he is telling me I did it wrong and it's ruined???
I'm also wondering if I should adjust the priming sugar in the 12 oz glass bottles. I Don't want a mess as well as cider,Thanks

relax

have a beer

so you added table sugar, it will ferment

have a beer and relax, next time you know better

as in all things you do, if you never make a mistake, you are not trying hard enough.

we learn from our mistakes and yours is not even bad

If you have a problem, I think it'll be from not boiling the sugar to make sure it's entirely sterile. With that said, I think you're going to be completely fine. In a couple of weeks, you're probably going to have beer that's perfectly drinkable. Prime and bottle as normal. If you really want revenge, don't share.

There would probably be subtle differences because of the type of sugar and again subtle differences on when you added it.

I actually think it was safer (as far as infection goes) the way you did it.

Whenever I have added sugar it has gone in during the boil. I don't see any big problem here.

Thanks Guys,Yea didn't think it would be a big deal either.. But he says I ruined it,, I'll tell him I'll just have to not share then.. ha ha

He told me he always added just little sugar at a time after the yeast had time to consume the malt first. He said what I did would cause the yeast to consume the table sugar first and the hops wouldn't shine through..

As I was looking this up through this forum I read this method is like a technique used by Belgian brewers...But This recipe is more like an ale so it's not the right kind of beer for that method anyways, lol...So I don't know what kind of beer you would call this.. Pale amber ale dry ? Oh well it's beer

I remember I liked his beer when we played in a band years ago and it seemed easy enough to make as he told me the recipe, or What he could remember of it ... And quick too,Heck I already had most of the ingredients Blam!...Cheers fellers,Thanks

Ruin is a strong word. Adding table sugar generally adds abv without any added flavor or body. I don't know but even his supposed method of adding it a little at a time after primary fermentation seems to me to be of no significance and a waste of time.

Let it ferment out and I bet you have a perfectly drinkable beer(which I wouldn't share with him).

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Ruin is a strong word. Adding table sugar generally adds abv without any added flavor or body. I don't know but even his supposed method of adding it a little at a time after primary fermentation seems to me to be of no significance and a waste of time.

Let it ferment out and I bet you have a perfectly drinkable beer(which I wouldn't share with him).

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Ha ha ha.. Well ,actually I am running a little low to be generous. I mean I only have like hmm, oh geez about 15 or 20 gallons bottled up of different brews and that's it.. ....:mug:

relax

have a beer

so you added table sugar, it will ferment

have a beer and relax, next time you know better

as in all things you do, if you never make a mistake, you are not trying hard enough.

we learn from our mistakes and yours is not even bad
Next time I'll know better is right..Just got one cold..it's Awesome I'll make this mistake again very soon...Flavor and abv ,,A friggin delicious and quick beer buzz

Next time I'll know better is right..Just got one cold..it's Awesome I'll make this mistake again very soon...Flavor and abv ,,A friggin delicious and quick beer buzz

Sounds like you should brew it the same next time and tell you're friend not to be so dramatic :)

I use dextrose and sucrose interchangeably when the recipe calls for it, and see no attenuation or taste differences that I can tell. The technique of adding it part way through fermentation I think is primarily to prevent the yeast from chewing up the simple sugars first and stalling in really big beers. That doesn't seem to apply here (this is what, a 1.058 beer?). As mentioned if anything adding it like you did is less of an infection risk.

You have it listed as priming sugar but that term is used to describe the sugar added just before bottling.

It's not going to hurt your beer at all. Very far from ruined.

You list your actual priming sugar per bottle but most people prime their entire batch and then bottle. It can be done either way.

You steeped your grains for 90 min but really 30 min is enough. 90 min is way overkill. Also, the irish moss is to aid in beer clarity and shouldn't be added in a muslin bag. No biggie.

Back