Guate Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nsaubes now has the grain.

Rappy, did you ever deposit your payment?

I walked into the DC on Monday and noticed they had a bunch of Cargill Products laying around. Cargill is a big Malt Supplier in the US and has factories all over Central America. I didnt ask the rep if they could get their malt because my spanish is still lacking. but it may be worth a shot.
i emailed Cargill when i got home to see if their central american locations carry malt and if i can just go straight to them. no response yet.

on another note. my DC malt test batch came out nice. i cracked one last night after 4 1/2 weeks in the bottle.
i dry hopped my IPA batch on Monday, gonna bottle that one up this weekend.

I walked into the DC on Monday and noticed they had a bunch of Cargill Products laying around. Cargill is a big Malt Supplier in the US and has factories all over Central America. I didnt ask the rep if they could get their malt because my spanish is still lacking. but it may be worth a shot.
i emailed Cargill when i got home to see if their central american locations carry malt and if i can just go straight to them. no response yet.

on another note. my DC malt test batch came out nice. i cracked one last night after 4 1/2 weeks in the bottle.
i dry hopped my IPA batch on Monday, gonna bottle that one up this weekend.

I'm glad to hear that, let me know how the IPA turns out.

Cool maybe pacaya can contact them and find out?

As far as I can tell (from their website), all they carry locally in CA are meat products and animal feed

http://www.cargill.com.hn/en/products-services/index.jsp

HQ for CA is located in Honduras. Maybe if we can pitch in and make a big enough order, it'll be worth their time to send some malt in to be distributed by Purina or DC.

Hi all, quick note too, on my last brews:

- DC LME IPA: made only with DC malt + a little table sugar, it came out pretty good although I've had carbonation problem (uneven carbonation, sometimes they are overcarbonated, sometimes they are flat.. evan had 2 bottle bombs... messy), but some of them have a correct carbonation level, and they are nice. The hop aroma came out pretty good as I dry hopped with cascade for 2 weeks... Although bottling was a little messy, because I dry hopped with pallets that I through stright in the fermenter... Next time I'll think about a muslin bag or something like this... Anyway, I think It's an easy recipe that is not very expansive and easily replicable, given the access to ingredients that we have here in Guate..

- The pepitoría/chile guaque amber: This was brewed with half DC LME and table sugar and half home malted and partly toasted malts... Plus a late addition of chile guaque in the boil, and additions of chile guaque and toasted pumpkin seeds in the fermenter for a week (dry chiliing/seeding, hehe). Originnaly I wanted to do more something like a brown ale or even a porter, but my home toasting experiment didn't lead me to real chocolate malt: I got 2 kinds of toasting, something like amber malt, bicuity/nutty, and something like a very pale chocolate, with kind of nutty/chocolaty taste, but quite pale color... At the beginning (2 weeks after bottling) the pumpkin seeds flavor/aroma was still too strong, but it mellowed after a week, leaving a nice nutty touch. The chile guaque is way more subtle in the flavor, and I guess it also added something to the color (deep red/amber)... In the end the beer is easily drinkable (amber colour, aroun 5-5.5°), and it's interesting and original. The conclusion is that the late addition of chile guaque in the boil was almost useless, and most of the flavor was given by the additions in the fermenter. I would really try again this recipe, but as I wanted at the beginning, i.e. in a porter... Cile cobanero would be worth to try too, as when you by it toasted at the market it really has a smoky touch that could be interesting. It's way hotter than chile guaque too, hehe...

Hi all, quick note too, on my last brews:

- DC LME IPA: made only with DC malt + a little table sugar, it came out pretty good although I've had carbonation problem (uneven carbonation, sometimes they are overcarbonated, sometimes they are flat.. evan had 2 bottle bombs... messy), but some of them have a correct carbonation level, and they are nice. The hop aroma came out pretty good as I dry hopped with cascade for 2 weeks... Although bottling was a little messy, because I dry hopped with pallets that I through stright in the fermenter... Next time I'll think about a muslin bag or something like this... Anyway, I think It's an easy recipe that is not very expansive and easily replicable, given the access to ingredients that we have here in Guate..

Well, 2 bottle bombs beats having a 5L minikeg-bomb... My room's ceiling still has splatter all over it... I'll usually just pour everything through a colander, it'll usually keep everything that doesn't need to be in the beer out of it. Yeah, it's a pretty good option for an all locally sourced ingredients brew.

- The pepitoría/chile guaque amber: This was brewed with half DC LME and table sugar and half home malted and partly toasted malts... Plus a late addition of chile guaque in the boil, and additions of chile guaque and toasted pumpkin seeds in the fermenter for a week (dry chiliing/seeding, hehe). Originnaly I wanted to do more something like a brown ale or even a porter, but my home toasting experiment didn't lead me to real chocolate malt: I got 2 kinds of toasting, something like amber malt, bicuity/nutty, and something like a very pale chocolate, with kind of nutty/chocolaty taste, but quite pale color... At the beginning (2 weeks after bottling) the pumpkin seeds flavor/aroma was still too strong, but it mellowed after a week, leaving a nice nutty touch. The chile guaque is way more subtle in the flavor, and I guess it also added something to the color (deep red/amber)... In the end the beer is easily drinkable (amber colour, aroun 5-5.5°), and it's interesting and original. The conclusion is that the late addition of chile guaque in the boil was almost useless, and most of the flavor was given by the additions in the fermenter. I would really try again this recipe, but as I wanted at the beginning, i.e. in a porter... Cile cobanero would be worth to try too, as when you by it toasted at the market it really has a smoky touch that could be interesting. It's way hotter than chile guaque too, hehe...

this might help with oven roasting your chocolate malt:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/homemade-pale-choclate-malt-possible-176656/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/attempt-making-chocolate-malt-115738/

Ok guys, mid october is coming up, any ideas for where/when you'd like to/be able to get together? I've bottled samples of my märzen, nancy brown and birthday saison; and depending on how soon the get together happens, I might also have some oud bruin available.

someone got back to me from cargill, a US rep. i asked if they could either ship their products to a cargill location here or to a distributor like DC. waiting to hear back.

i brewed a pumpkin beer this week. bubbling away as we speak. my wife found libbys pumpkin puree in managua. i baked it at 350 for 15-20 mins with a 1/4 lb of brown sugar, dash of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. then steeped it with specialty grains - 10oz of special roast
Fermentables:
9 lbs of the DC LME. and 1 lb of brown sugar
Hops/Spices:
3/4 oz of magnum at 60
1 oz of kent golding at 15
at 5 min:
1 tsp - ground allspice, ground ginger, whole cloves, & pumpkin pie spice
1/2 oz of fresh grated ginger

Fermenting with US -05
I will add 1 tbsp of real vanilla extract after fermentation or at bottling. i might secondary this to clear it up as im sure alot of the pumpkin puree got thru my grain bag.

Ok guys, mid october is coming up, any ideas for where/when you'd like to/be able to get together? I've bottled samples of my märzen, nancy brown and birthday saison; and depending on how soon the get together happens, I might also have some oud bruin available.

Well, my "schedule" keeps drifting so best to set a date without me. Although, late October would be most likely for me.

someone got back to me from cargill, a US rep. i asked if they could either ship their products to a cargill location here or to a distributor like DC. waiting to hear back.

i brewed a pumpkin beer this week. bubbling away as we speak. my wife found libbys pumpkin puree in managua. i baked it at 350 for 15-20 mins with a 1/4 lb of brown sugar, dash of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. then steeped it with specialty grains - 10oz of special roast
Fermentables:
9 lbs of the DC LME. and 1 lb of brown sugar
Hops/Spices:
3/4 oz of magnum at 60
1 oz of kent golding at 15
at 5 min:
1 tsp - ground allspice, ground ginger, whole cloves, & pumpkin pie spice
1/2 oz of fresh grated ginger

Fermenting with US -05
I will add 1 tbsp of real vanilla extract after fermentation or at bottling. i might secondary this to clear it up as im sure alot of the pumpkin puree got thru my grain bag.

Sounds good, keep us posted on both.

Well, my "schedule" keeps drifting so best to set a date without me. Although, late October would be most likely for me.

Ok, so how about Nov 8th or 9th? any takers?

Hi guys

I thought I would update you on my recipe from 22nd August. Well, after 45 days or so of proper bubbling (plus a wait of 10 days to make sure) I finally got it into bottles last week, in time to get another batch on the go for this full moon. It tasted rather good, GF approval rating of this beer was high and that was before conditioning! I guess I'll find out properly in a couple of weeks. Bottles have been wrapped in costales and put in a box, just in case any turn out to be bombs!

The next batch was brewed yesterday, lunchtime drinking took it's toll on my ideas for Saturday ;-) All Guatemalan ingredients again, but tinkering with the formulation and a bigger batch - 15 litres this time. This recipe was:

1.75kg DC LME
0.5kg Panela
75g Quinfica powdered hops @ 60 mins
25g Quinfica powdered hops @ 15 mins
Yeast slurry - harvested from last batch

Lag time seemed to be about 12 hours - it wasn't bubbling last night at 10pm, but this morning is bubbling very rapidly. Rapid bubbling is what I saw with the last batch (although with a lag time of 3 or 4 hours IIRC) and I cut down the amount of yeast slurry I used this time. I hope this time the main bubbling period will be shorter, and I'll be able to get another batch in the primary next month. With the snowbirds returning to San Marcos I'm hoping to find someone willing to bring me an extra airlock, hydrometer, dried yeast........

Once again, things are a little up in the air here, but I would hope that November 8th might be possible. A Saturday might be even better, but honestly I am not likely to really know until about Nov 4th. I am hoping this time will work out, I am looking forward to meeting you all and trying some of your wonderful brews!

HI. I haven't been active on this thread but I am still brewing in Guatemala so I'd like to try and meet up with you all in November if it works out. I've had a few successes and a few batches that weren't great but they were still better than brahva. I can't ask for anything more.

Pazaquel where were you able to buy the Quinfica powdered hops?

Quinfica is a company in the city that sell herbs and herbal medicines. here's a link to their site.

http://www.quinfica.com/english.asp

My GF has dealt with them for several years, very nice people and easy to deal with. I got the powdered hops this time, as they were out of whole hops. Maybe they have them back in stock now.

Hi guys

I thought I would update you on my recipe from 22nd August. Well, after 45 days or so of proper bubbling (plus a wait of 10 days to make sure) I finally got it into bottles last week, in time to get another batch on the go for this full moon. It tasted rather good, GF approval rating of this beer was high and that was before conditioning! I guess I'll find out properly in a couple of weeks. Bottles have been wrapped in costales and put in a box, just in case any turn out to be bombs!

The next batch was brewed yesterday, lunchtime drinking took it's toll on my ideas for Saturday ;-) All Guatemalan ingredients again, but tinkering with the formulation and a bigger batch - 15 litres this time. This recipe was:

1.75kg DC LME
0.5kg Panela
75g Quinfica powdered hops @ 60 mins
25g Quinfica powdered hops @ 15 mins
Yeast slurry - harvested from last batch

Sounds like a traditional english bitter at about 3%, keep us posted on the results.

Lag time seemed to be about 12 hours - it wasn't bubbling last night at 10pm, but this morning is bubbling very rapidly. Rapid bubbling is what I saw with the last batch (although with a lag time of 3 or 4 hours IIRC) and I cut down the amount of yeast slurry I used this time. I hope this time the main bubbling period will be shorter, and I'll be able to get another batch in the primary next month. With the snowbirds returning to San Marcos I'm hoping to find someone willing to bring me an extra airlock, hydrometer, dried yeast........

Try to keep the yeast dosage to about a table spoon full of yeast cake, underpitching can stress the yeast and give off flavors or cause a stuck fermentation (either is much less likely with lower ABV beers like yours though). Also, with lower ABV beers, try to keep the batches as large as possible, too much head space will oxidize the beer and it'll be much more noticeable with a softer flavored beer.

Once again, things are a little up in the air here, but I would hope that November 8th might be possible. A Saturday might be even better, but honestly I am not likely to really know until about Nov 4th. I am hoping this time will work out, I am looking forward to meeting you all and trying some of your wonderful brews!

So am I... now if I could just get 5 people or more to post regarding their availability on said dates, then we could start planning (hopefully nsaubes' restaurant is open by then and we can get together there; if it's ok with him).

Hi guys, we finally "escaped" from Volcan, Panama (its a hard place to leave) and I am in the City today, but only today. If anyone wants to have a beer in Z10 let me know.

Heading back down to the Rio on Sunday to start moving boats up to Belize for charter season. If anyone wants to ride along let me know.

Nsaubes, any chance of picking up that grain from you today?

Thanks Patzaquel for the info on Quinfica. I looked at the website and it says they have powedered, leaf and extract hops. So hopefully they will have at least one of them in stock when I run out of the hops I brought from the states.

I am available on either November 8th or 9th. I also have a pretty nice view of the city, Agua, Fuego and Acatenango from the deck of our appt. in Zone 15 if people would like to have a pot luck here rather than meet in a restaurant.

here is the IPA. it turned out really nice but a tad sweet. the hop profile is right up my alley. I enjoy the FF 7C's and Cascade combo for flavor and aroma.
I think it will be awesome if i could cut it with some 2-row or a light extract to lighten it up and get rid of some of the sweetness

ipa.JPG

Thanks Patzaquel for the info on Quinfica. I looked at the website and it says they have powedered, leaf and extract hops. So hopefully they will have at least one of them in stock when I run out of the hops I brought from the states.

I am available on either November 8th or 9th. I also have a pretty nice view of the city, Agua, Fuego and Acatenango from the deck of our appt. in Zone 15 if people would like to have a pot luck here rather than meet in a restaurant.

Thanks for the offer, hopefully we get enough RSVP's to make it worthwhile.

here is the IPA. it turned out really nice but a tad sweet. the hop profile is right up my alley. I enjoy the FF 7C's and Cascade combo for flavor and aroma.
I think it will be awesome if i could cut it with some 2-row or a light extract to lighten it up and get rid of some of the sweetness

What I usually do to make dryer beers, is use table or brown sugar, no more than 2 pounds per 5 gallon batch (and even then 2 pounds is stretching it, it's usually 1 pound at most), it also brings color down a couple of notches too.

What I usually do to make dryer beers said:
i went with a 1/2 lb of brown sugar on it. i'll plan on doing a full lb of white table sugar next time i do an IPA then. (4 gallons)

i have the pumpkin just about ready to bottle.
once i bottle that, i plan on doing a stout with some of the US-05 yeast slurry.

8 Gallons:
- 15 lbs of the LME
- 1.5 lbs of brown sugar

- 8 oz of black patent
- 8 oz of roasted barley
- 16 oz of chocolate malt

- 1.5 oz Magnum 60 min
- 1 oz Kent Golding 15 min
- 1 oz Kent Golding 5 min

Looks nice, make sure not to steep the grain in boiling water though, it'll extract all the tannins and you'll end up with a burnt stout, make sure not to go over 175ºF when steeping.

i brewed the stout up last night. I took the gravity sample of 7.5 gallons and it was 1.080. i then added a quart of top off water to each fermenter so i'm guessing it would be in the 1.075 range.
woke up this AM and its bubbling away nicely.

Roughly 1.075, yes. Let us know how they turn out. In my experience DC extract is good for darker beers, more so if you're low on medium crystal malts.

Unfortunately the mead I left aging got contaminated and has a distinct vinegar off flavor to it now. I'm thinking of just going with it and making vinegar, but would like a clean culture to continue with. Has anyone seen natural unfiltered vinegar in the City? Or, know of somewhere I could acquire a culture in country?

Unfortunately the mead I left aging got contaminated and has a distinct vinegar off flavor to it now. I'm thinking of just going with it and making vinegar, but would like a clean culture to continue with. Has anyone seen natural unfiltered vinegar in the City? Or, know of somewhere I could acquire a culture in country?

Curtis, I've got a bottle of apple cider vinegar at home, unfiltered and organic, with a small piece of "the mother"... The brand is Bragg, imported from the US and I guess (but not a 100% sure) that I bought it in wallmart...

Curtis, I've got a bottle of apple cider vinegar at home, unfiltered and organic, with a small piece of "the mother"... The brand is Bragg, imported from the US and I guess (but not a 100% sure) that I bought it in wallmart...

WALMART in Guate City right?

Hello all! I'm new here and I would like to introduce myself! Ive been contemplating getting into homebrewing for a while and have finally decided to take the plunge into the hobby!

I want to buy most of the smaller equipment, hops and yeast from the US. I will buy a kettle from zone 1, and will ferment in a tambo salvavidas. However, I wanted to get some LME from DC but they are out of stock. I contactes a place called Grupo Aseal and they had DME, however it seemed a bit expensive (US$4.60 per kilo) and Im not sure if it works (its extracto de malta adiastasica). Does anybody know of another place to get malt extract?

Another option would be to malt my own barley, but that seems a bit daunting and I would have to get more equipment!

Thank you all!

Hello all! I'm new here and I would like to introduce myself! Ive been contemplating getting into homebrewing for a while and have finally decided to take the plunge into the hobby!

I want to buy most of the smaller equipment, hops and yeast from the US. I will buy a kettle from zone 1, and will ferment in a tambo salvavidas. However, I wanted to get some LME from DC but they are out of stock. I contactes a place called Grupo Aseal and they had DME, however it seemed a bit expensive (US$4.60 per kilo) and Im not sure if it works (its extracto de malta adiastasica). Does anybody know of another place to get malt extract?

Another option would be to malt my own barley, but that seems a bit daunting and I would have to get more equipment!

Thank you all!

Glad to have you join us. I would advise keeping the "tambo" in as dark as possible a room and covered up, you don't want any phtalates leaching into the beer. That said, $4.60 a kilo's about as much as you'd usually pay for a pound of US DME once you factor in shipping and duties, that's great to know. Adiastasic DME means it's been mashed out and the enzimes aren't working any more, so it won't convert any more grain or have any more enzime troubles (don't want to mess with lipase or PPO, or other some such enzimes). From what you've just described, Aseal IS the better place to get malt extract.

That being said, malting your own isn't all that much trouble as long as you have a stable work day schedule; all you really need is water, a bucket, time, lots of sunlight and a few sq feet of bug screen. You WILL need a protein rest when you mash though.

If you have any more questions or anything you'd like to share, feel free to do so in this thread or on our CA-4 group.

Thank you Pacayaforhops, your answer was really helpful. I would like to share the link to the company's website and facebook page if anyone else is interested in their DME:
http://www.aseal.net/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ASEAL-Guatemala/135603139791078

The minimum volume they sell is 10 Kg and they do shipping for order over Q700 (they are located in Zone 12). They also replied to my inquiries really fast.

Thank you Curtis, glad to be here!

Cool, Aseal sells cultures for cheese making too according to their web site.

They have DME and LME. Here are the spec sheets:

EMS 4100 – EXTRACTO DE MALTA EN POLVO

COD.: 120.530.010 – REV.: 05

As informações aqui contidas não dispensam o usuário da verificação de eventuais limitações do uso conforme legislação vigente.

LIOTÉCNICA TECNOLOGIA EM ALIMENTOS LTDA.
Fábricas 1 e 4: Av. João Paulo I, 900 - Jd. Santa Bárbara - 06818-901 – EMBU DAS ARTES – SP – Brasil.
Fábrica 3: Av. João Paulo I, 1098 – Morro do Camargo - 06817-000 – EMBU DAS ARTES – SP – Brasil.
Fax: +55-11-4704-6317 – Tel.: +55-11-4785-2300.

La información contenida en este documento no exime al usuario de la verificación de las limitaciones de uso contenidas en la legislación vigente.

Fábricas 1 e 4: Av. João Paulo I, 900 - Jd. Santa Bárbara - 06818-901 – EMBU DAS ARTES – SP – Brasil.
Fábrica 3: Av. João Paulo I, 1098 – Morro do Camargo - 06817-000 – EMBU DAS ARTES – SP – Brasil.
Fax: +55-11-4704-6317 – Tel.: +55-11-4785-2300.

Hoja de Datos Técnicos

DESCRIPCION – Producto obtenido por medio de la transformación del almidón, presente en la materia prima, en
azúcar, sometido enseguida a concentración, deshidratación al vacío y moledura, de acuerdo a las Buenas Prácticas
de Fabricación. Grado alimenticio, libre de sustancias tóxicas o peligrosas a la salud. Libre de organismos
genéticamente modificados (GMO Free). Certificado Kosher.

INGREDIENTES – Malta, cebada, hidróxido de potasio, lecitina de soja y colorante caramelo. Contiene gluten.

APPLICATION – El extracto de malta es un ingrediente que provee equilibrio a sus fórmulas a través de la mejora
de textura y sabor. En el caso de productos derivados de proteína de soja, el extracto de malta ayuda a cubrir el
regusto de la soja. Se utiliza en helados, galletas, panes, chocolates, productos a base de cacao, productos de soja,
productos lácteos entre otras aplicaciones. También indicado para productos que necesitan un color dorado más
oscuro.

CARACTERÍSTICAS FÍSICAS & QUIMICAS (1)

Sabor y olor Típico
Aspecto Gránulo de color marrón pardo
Densidad (g/L) 300 – 450
Humedad (%) Máximo 3,5
pH (sol 10% at 20ºC) 6,00 – 7,00
Proteína (%) 5,00 – 7,00
Grasa (%) Máximo 1,0
Ceniza (%) Máximo 4,0
Acidez (mL NaOH 0,1N/10g) Máximo 20,00
Azúcar reductor expresado en maltosa (%) 65,0 – 84,0
Granulometría (# USS >120) (%) Retener mínimo 65,0
Color (EBC) 110 - 170
Materiales extraños Ausente
(1)
Pueden haber pequeñas diferencias en las características sensoriales del producto, debida a la variación natural de la materia prima.

CARACTERÍSTICAS MICROBIOLÓGICAS (1)

n c m M
Cuenta Total por Placa CFU/g 5 0 10000 -
Levaduras y Mohos CFU/g 5 0 100 -
Coliformes totales CFU/g 5 0 <10 -
E. coli CFU/g 5 0 <10 -
Salmonella sp
(2)
/25g 5 0 Ausente -
S. aureus CFU/g 5 0 <10 -
B. cereus CFU/g 5 0 1000 -
(1)
El plan de muestro sigue las normas de La ICMSF (International Comission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods)
(2)
Conforme la legislación brasileña vigente (RDC n°12 de 02 de enero de 2001 &#8211; 11B)

ALMAZENAJE Y CONSERVACIÓN - Bolsa de polietileno dentro de otra bolsa de capas de papel. Peso neto: 25kg.
La etiqueta debe contener nombre del producto, número del lote, la fecha de fabricación y la fecha de caducidad.

EMS 4100 &#8211; EXTRACTO DE MALTA EN POLVO

COD.: 120.530.010 &#8211; REV.: 05

As informações aqui contidas não dispensam o usuário da verificação de eventuais limitações do uso conforme legislação vigente.

Fábricas 1 e 4: Av. João Paulo I, 900 - Jd. Santa Bárbara - 06818-901 &#8211; EMBU DAS ARTES &#8211; SP &#8211; Brasil.
Fábrica 3: Av. João Paulo I, 1098 &#8211; Morro do Camargo - 06817-000 &#8211; EMBU DAS ARTES &#8211; SP &#8211; Brasil.
Fax: +55-11-4704-6317 &#8211; Tel.: +55-11-4785-2300.

La información contenida en este documento no exime al usuario de la verificación de las limitaciones de uso contenidas en la legislación vigente.

Fábricas 1 e 4: Av. João Paulo I, 900 - Jd. Santa Bárbara - 06818-901 &#8211; EMBU DAS ARTES &#8211; SP &#8211; Brasil.
Fábrica 3: Av. João Paulo I, 1098 &#8211; Morro do Camargo - 06817-000 &#8211; EMBU DAS ARTES &#8211; SP &#8211; Brasil.

ALMAZENAJE Y CONSERVACIÓN &#8211;En temperatura ambiente, protegido del polvo y humedad, sobre tablado, en
su embalaje original cerrada.

TRANSPORTE &#8211; En temperatura ambiente, en vehículos limpios protegido del polvo, humedad y materiales que
puedan ofrecer riesgos de contaminación.

CADUCIDAD &#8211; 18 meses, en su embalaje original cerrada.

EXTRACTO DE MALTA LÍQUIDO &#8211; EML 340

COD.: 120.530.022 &#8211; REV.: 07

Hoja De Datos Técnicos

DESCRIPCIÓN &#8211; Producto obtenido básicamente por medio de la transformación del almidón, presente en las
materias primas, en azúcar, sometido enseguida a concentración de acuerdo a las Buenas Prácticas de Fabricación.
Grado alimenticio, libre de sustancias tóxicas o peligrosas a la salud. Certificado Kosher. Contiene gluten.

INGREDIENTES &#8211; Malta y cebada.

APLICACIÓN - El extracto de malta es un ingrediente que provee equilibrio a sus fórmulas a través de la mejora
de textura y sabor. En el caso de productos derivados de proteína de soja, el extracto de malta ayuda a cubrir el
regusto de la soja. Se utiliza en helados, productos lácteos, galletas saladas, productos a base de cacao, cereales
matinales y productos a base de soja, entre otras aplicaciones. En el caso de galletas saladas, ofrece un color
distinto y prolonga su vida útil. También puede utilizarse en postres porque reduce la dulzura.

CARACTERÍSTICAS FÍSICO QUÍMICAS (1)

Sabor y Olor Típico
Aspecto Líquido viscoso de color marrón oscuro
Sólidos Totales (ºBrix) 78 - 82
pH (Sol 10% a 20ºC) 4,5 - 6,0
Acidez (ml de NaOH 0,1N/10g) Máximo 11,0
Azúcar Reductor Expresado En Maltosa (%) Mínimo 50,0
Color (EBC) Máximo 30
Materiales Extraños Ausente
(1)
Puede haber pequeñas diferencias en las características del producto, debidas a la variación natural de la materia prima

CARACTERÍSTICAS MICROBIOLÓGICAS (1)

n c m M
Mohos y Levaduras (UFC/g) 5 0 100 -
Coliformes 45ºC (2)
(UFC/g) 5 0 <10 -
Coliformes 35ºC (UFC/g) 5 0 <10 -
E. coli (UFC/g) 5 0 <10 -
Salmonella sp (2)
(/25g) 5 0 Ausente -
(1)
El plan de muestro sigue las normas de La ICMSF (International Comission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods).
(2)
Conforme la legislación brasileña vigente (RDC n°12 de 02 de enero de 2001 &#8211; ítem 11-B)

INFORMACIONES NUTRICIONALES/100g
(1)

Valor calórico, kcal 322
Carbohidratos, g 78
Proteínas, g 1,6
Grasas totales, g 0,3
Grasas saturadas, g 0
Grasas trans, g 0
Colesterol, g 0
Fibra alimentaria, g 0
(1)
Valores típicos o de referencia. No constituyen especificación del producto.

EXTRACTO DE MALTA LÍQUIDO &#8211; EML 340

COD.: 120.530.022 &#8211; REV.: 07

PRESENTACIÓN

CÓDIGO EMBALAJE PESO NETO / BRUTO
120.530.022 Tambor de metal con revestimiento en resina no tóxica. Cubierta no removible. 280 / 294 kg

ALMAZENAJE Y CONSERVACIÓN &#8211; En temperatura ambiente, protegido del polvo, humedad y luz, en su
embalaje original cerrada.

TRANSPORTE - En temperatura ambiente, en vehículos limpios, protegidos del polvo, humedad y materiales que
puedan ofrecer riesgos de contaminación.

CADUCIDAD - 8 meses. En su embalaje original y cerrada, almacenada correctamente. Después del uso, este
producto debe mantenerse cerrado y protegido en su envase original. Consuma en hasta 5 días.

Anyone know how the EBC color rating given relates to SRM?

Edit: (duh, easy search)

Detailed article in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Reference_Method

Wow, the DME is listed as having an EBC of 110 -170. I interpret that to be extremely dark not "dorado mas obscuro" as its effect is described. Am I missing something here?

And the LME at 30 EBC is moderately dark (about SRM 15), right?

EBC is roughly SRM X 2, so about 15 SRM; amber at most. The DME has soy lecithin which isn't good news for head retention and also caramel coloring; which means a darker color (110-170 EBC so 50+ SRM). It's not looking really good as far as the DME for beer.

EBC is roughly SRM X 2, so about 15 SRM; amber at most. The DME has soy lecithin which isn't good news for head retention and also caramel coloring; which means a darker color (110-170 EBC so 50+ SRM). It's not looking really good as far as the DME for beer.

But looks like the LME is just malted barley with no soy lecithin or caramel color right? And the lighter color should make it more generally useful for brewing.

Back