SWMBO likes "wheaty" beer . . . . but not wheat beers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
So I've been working (HARD) to find a beer that will really please my wife. She likes beer and I consider her a "beer girl", but most of what I bring home is "just okay" to her.

I know by now that she's not a big hop fan and prefers lagers or really lighter ales (But NOT BMC, thanks goodness!).

She's always bringing up a "wheaty aftertaste", which I take to be a malty back-palette quality. However, I'll buy something that looks promising, but it doesn't resonnate with her. She likes hefes and other weat beers all right, but they don't hit the "wheatiness" she's looking for. So I know that's not the correct term, but it's all she has in her vocabulary.

We'll be out somewhere and get something that she likes and I'll forget what it was. Or I don't really pick out what she's picking out, so I can't remember it.

I don't think this is a style thing, becasue we've hit a range of style. So now I'm looking at specific malt profiles. I suspect what she's looking for is "bready", "toasty" or "biscuity". What commercial beers cna I look for that are good candidates for that? Once I find one of those, I'll work on developing a homebrew recipe that features that, to keep her happy.

HALP!

She's always bringing up a "wheaty aftertaste", which I take to be a malty back-palette quality. However, I'll buy something that looks promising, but it doesn't resonnate with her. She likes hefes and other weat beers all right, but they don't hit the "wheatiness" she's looking for. So I know that's not the correct term, but it's all she has in her vocabulary.

Add some Wheaties to the beer?

Seriously though, maybe try a Dunkelweizen?

everybody loves sierra nevada

She must not be part of everyone then. ;)

She's definitely not a fan of SNIPA.

I really thought SN Tumbler would be her kind of beer. But it didn't pass her test.

@jerryalan hmmm. I'm not sure we found one of those.

I even thought Shiner 102, a filteres DOUBLE Wheat ale would be the ticket, but no go.

Dead guy has a malty profile. Any commercial Maiboch, or Doppleboch will certainly be malty.
Also try a Red Hook Esb.
_

WW, Cool. I will keep those in mind.

And, Acoma, that's the mother of my child you're talking about. She wouldn't be if she wasn't hot. ;)

Do you guys get flying fish down in Baltimore? Their ESB might also be one to try

Yeah. I think I've seen it around here.

Now that I think of it, I tried a local ESB from a brewpub that was pretty "toasty". Maybe that would go in the right direction. Unfortunately, they only serve. I do'nt think they even do growlers. Plus, I'd have to haul it home on the train from DC.

I'll look for Flying Fish or Red Hook at home.

Gracias! :tank:

Have you tried Hoegarden? or Paulaner Hefeweizen

My wife loves both of those beers. Other Wheats she is not big on but will drink them. But those two are her favorites right now.

Kellerweisse is good by Sierra Nevada.

1 more.

Golden Monkey by Victory my wife likes and it gets her loaded...LOL Tripel does you good.

Oh, we're well-acquainted with the Monkey. That's my go-to at Ale Mary's in Baltimore. ;)

Thing is, I think she likes her "wheat" to not be in wheat beers. Hoegarden is spicy and yeasty, which isn't her fave. Same with most hefes.

Kellerweisse is a good thought. I've gotten that, but not sure if she's tried it.

Going to go the ESB route first, though.

I was thinking the same thing as Ionia. Does she like Wits? I am not a fan of wheat beers, like hefes and things like that, but I love witbeers, and even pseudo one's like blue moon work in a pitch. But i love Hoegaarden and celis white, and others of that style. They are about 40% wheat but not wheaty. Just light and really refereshing.

+1 for Golden Monkey by Victory... Also maybe try a Belgian Wit.. wheat and barley ..though the other flavors may throw her off.

ive brewed an american wheat beer that seems to be really popular with alot of BMC buddies, has not been converted to AG yet, but shouldnt be to hard, pm if interested

Revvy said:
I am not a fan of wheat beers, like hefes and things like that, but I love witbeers

fwiw: i'm in the same camp as Revvy here and would guess a Wit might be a solution, so that was my first thought when I saw this topic. Especially if she likes citrusy/slightly spicy aromas!

I agree with a Dunkleweizen. It's an easy drinking style. Very flavorful. One that almost everybody will like.

Make a wheat beer with something like WLP002, a highly flocculant strain. If she likes this, she likes wheat, if she doesn't, she likes the flavor of, and those created by, the typical wheat beer yeast. The next test would be with our without spices added

Update: She wasn't a big fan of Red Hook ESB.

I really think she's thinking of a biscuit or bready quality.

Sounds like it'd def be one of the malt-forward English pale ales. You could try my latest recipe,though it's all extract...
1 can 1.7kg Cooper's O.S. lager
3lbs (about 1.4kg) Munton's plain extra light DME
1oz Kent Golding hop pellets (4.5%AA)
The Cooper's ale yeast provided in a starter
I made a starter (yeast was old) out of 1 1/2C of hot water,& 1/4C of the DME mixed in a Pyrex measuring cup with a quick check thermometer in it covered with plastic wrap. I waited till the temp went down to 75F to stir in the yeast & recover.
Then,I boiled 1 1/4 gallons of water. Then added the ounce of Kent Golding in a hop sack for 15 mins. Remove brew kettle from heat & mix in DME & LME as thoroughly as possible. Cover & allow to steep while sanitizing FV,etc with star-san or the like. It's also a better idea to cool the wort kettle in an ice bath. Relying on the top off method to cool it down to pitch temp doesn't work that well for me.
Top off to 23L (6.072G) & ferment at 20C-22C 69-71F) for up to 3 weeks. Mine took that long anyway. I added 1oz of Willamette to dry hop,but it sounds like you should leave that out. That should give the flavor she's describing. It smelled just that way before I dry hopped it. Not to mention,a beautiful amber color. It still tasted pretty good with it to me. And probably you. But,try it without the dry hop on her.:mug:

I'd throw a Celis White her way. If that does not do the trick perhaps a Widmer heff. If she like the Widmer I have a good AG recipe that is along the same lines.

Is it possible shes talking about a strong yeast flavor finish? I was getting the same kind of confusion with a friend of mine who insisted he liked certain craft beers better in bottles than on tap because they tasted more "bready" to him. After much frustration of trying to place a type of beer to the flavor profile he was talking about we realized it was just the yeast flavor he liked and just started directing him towards the naturally carbed beers. I could see the yeast flavor being associated with a "wheaty" description for someone who might associate the smell/flavor of yeast with baking or whole wheat breads.

She doesn't like Blue Moon? That seems to be the most popular beer among women who don't really like beer

Going out on a limb here.......

Unibroue Don de Dieu or Blonde de Chambly OR Lefebvre Barbar

OR

a bready / fruity Barleywine........

OR

Lindemans lambics.....

OR

Harpoon UFO
Bell's Oberon
Anchor Steam Summer
Troegs Dreamweaver
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat
Yuengling Lager
Brooklyn Lager

If none of the above work..........Boones

I'll have to hunt down some Fat Tire. I don't see it very frequently. Or maybe I'm not looking for it.

Well, here's an interesting development. I was at the liquor store above my LHBS to grab a bottle of cheap wine for a recipe and glanced at the beer cooler. For being above a homebrew store, this place has got a crap beer selection. It's in the backwoods, so I don't suppose many people are drinking saisons around there.

I grabbed a sixer of Coors Banquet. Now, before you guys take my homebrewer-card from me, this isn't Coors Light. CB is what I would get in college when I wanted something cheap but not a "lite". It's not fantastic, but it's god a little flavor. I remembered there being a crisp, graininess in it and wondered if we could start with that.

Lo and behold, she liked it! She remarked that it was really light on flavor, but the flavors that were there were in the realm of what she wanted.

So that's not much to go on. But does anyone have an idea of the grist in Coors Banquest? Need to make something like that but punche dup to have more flavor.

I actually don't mind Coors banquet either... probably my favorite macro lager. Can be hard to find some places though.

Glad you finally found something she likes.

I actually don't mind Coors banquet either... probably my favorite macro lager. Can be hard to find some places though.

Glad you finally found something she likes.

Well, she said it was a start. I hope to be able to develop something with that graininess she likes but better/more flavor.

I also say that you have to find a fat tire. From what you are describing, I think it would be spot on to what she is looking for and you'll get the nod of approval after the first sip.

I'm confused, and googling and even reading the Coors website, but isn't Coors "banquet" just regular Coors as opposed to Coor's Light?

Yeah. I believe it is. But saying "Coors Something" sets it apart from "Coors Light". :D

And it gives it a little more class.

Latest posts

Back