Added too much coconut extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenaye

Reaction score
How does one reduce the bitter aftertaste from the beer if they have added too much coconut extract (brewing a sweet stout) to the primary...at 2 weeks in primary, the extract flavor is overwhelming. Is there anything I can do to reduce it to a palatable level while it's still in the primary?

Nothing you can do except wait. It will dissipate with time, but might take a while.

Make sure you recorded the amount so that next time you have a reference to the amount that is way too much.

How does one reduce the bitter aftertaste from the beer if they have added too much coconut extract (brewing a sweet stout) to the primary...at 2 weeks in primary, the extract flavor is overwhelming. Is there anything I can do to reduce it to a palatable level while it's still in the primary?

How much extract did you use and for what batch size?

A GREAT way to fix that would be to add some concentrated coffee. Brew up 4 cups of coffee using about 2-3X the normal amount of coffee grains (or 2-4 expresso shots if you have an expresso maker), cool it down to about the same temp as the beer, and dump that puppy in. It would be best to add it at bottling/kegging time.

Coffee is a great addition to a porter or stout style and will cut that coconut nicely. I used this same method to save a porter I added too much vanilla to, and it turned the beer from undrinkable into a really really good beer.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep this in mind when I bottle and use this if the beer turns out too sweet.

Latest posts

Back