temp to ferment at

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandabear

Reaction score
Im brewing a german lager but using the wyeast german ale yeast since I can't get it to a lower temp. I am going to primary ferment at 58° and secondary the same. Totaling about 14 days. After should I bottle and condition in the frig? I know this yeast can handle the lower temp. Or should I primary and secondary ferment at 58° for a longer period? I really want to get it to a lower temp. Its a german lager recipe.
Any suggestions would be great.

I'd suggest either bottling it and keeping it at 70 degrees until it's carbed up, and then cold conditioning it in the fridge OR doing now in the secondary. If you can't cold condition in a carboy, then bottling it and doing it after carbonation occurs would be a valid way to do it.

Thanks, what do you mean by doing now in the secondary? Ya I can't cold condition in the carboy yet(ooking into chest freezers and temperature controlling options).

Back