If you could only use one type of hops for all of your brews...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsay

Reaction score
Which one would it be?

I'm doing a survey on hop usage. Please list the following:

(1) The type of hops you would use if you could only use one type for all of your brews.

(2) Why did you choose this hop?

(3) What limitations would this one hop type put on some of your brews?

(4) What types of hops do you currently use for your most-brewed recipes? (or if you don't really repeat recipes, which type of hops have you been using again and again?)

Thank you for your participation!

(1) The type of hops you would use if you could only use one type for all of your brews.

Cascades

(2) Why did you chose this hop?

Verstatile for my favorite styles IPA, APA, would work well in some wheats.

Brown ales, porters and stouts would be difficult

(4) What types of hops do you currently use for your most-brewed recipes? (or if you don't really repeat recipes, which type of hops have you been using again and again?)

Warrior, Amarillo, Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Goldings,

To a lesser extent Northern Brewer, Hallertau, Tettnang, and Perle.

Challenger

It's a moderately high alpha acid hop that works well both as a bittering hop and a flavor/aroma hop. It's clean and spicy and is appropriate for both ales and lagers.

It would not work especially well in American Pale Ales or IPAs. Bohemian and German Pilsners wouldn't be quite right, either, though they'd be pretty tasty, I bet.

Challenger, East Kent Goldings, Tettnang, Willamette.

Chad

Home Grown (Okay, Okay, Okay Simcoe)

Cause' I grow them. (I just really like this hop)

Not many. (Could never compete but, I don't anyway so none)

I have waay too many hops on hand right now. But the trend seems to be a majority of American and German variants.

Thank you for your participation. (You're welcome)

fuggle

it's one of my favorite hops and it is very versatile. it is great in a bavarian hefeweizen, every english beer out there and many belgian beers. i've also used it blended in many other styles, including american pale ales.

it works great for bittering, flavor and aroma.

i love it's spiciness.

american ales would be different than most people are used to. it's not quite as soft as some of the other hops i use in my lighter beers, but would still work nicely. it would be expensive to use in more bitter beers or strong ales because of it's low AA% (which would be the case for me anyhow. i rarely use high AA% hops)

hallertau, saaz and tettnanger for most of my hefeweizens, cream ales and lighter beers. i often use a saaz/fuggle blend with some of these beers as well. fuggle is good when used alone, as well.

fuggle and east kent golding for english pales, stouts, porters, etc.

styrian golding is another personal favorite but this, of course, is a fuggle variety. i use another fuggle variety, willamette, on occasion as well.

EDIT: forgot to mention, northern brewer is my personal hop choice for most american ales

no problem! :D

Which one would it be?

Fuggle

I like the taste of wood. (Do I need to rephrase that?)

Not many limitations while I am brewing only bitter and English style IPA until I get my method down to near perfection

I've tried others, but am now sticking to Fuggle and EK Golding while I play around with different grains at this stage (Still learning)

PS thanks for making the original post in an easy to fill form style!

Willamette Hops

Can be used as either a bittering or aroma hop. It's also a fuggle cultivar so can go well in both english and american styles.

For american pale ales and IPA's I prefer the Cascade for dry hopping due to the citrusy flavor and aroma. However, Cascades just don't work well in a brown ale or other mildly hopped beers IMHO.

Cascade, Willamette, Centennial, Chinook.

Cascades

Verstatile for my favorite styles IPA, APA, would work well in some wheats.

Brown ales, porters and stouts would be difficult

Warrior, Amarillo, Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Goldings,

To a lesser extent Northern Brewer, Hallertau, Tettnang, and Perle.

Yeah I brewed a Brown Ale with Cascades a month and a half ago. I'm drinking the beer now. The flavor is way off for a brown. Ended up more like a dark pale ale with nutty flavors. Not terrible, but I don't think I'll do that again.

Willamette

I have a pound or so left! :) Seriously, it is a good neutral variety appropriate in a wide variety of styles. I like its flavor. I brew ales only, with English styles slightly predominating over American. Willamette, a cultivar of Fuggles, tastes appropriate to me in either idiom.

Were I to brew a lot of true-to-style lagers, it wouldn't be at all appropriate.

Willamette, US Hallertauer (again, I've a bunch of pellets on hand), East Kent Goldings (yum!)

Cheers,

Bob

Another vote for Cascade

Very versatile, at least within the context of "American" versisons of styles. High enough AA% to use for bittering, and a nice, clean, classic flavor and aroma for IPAs, APAs, etc. If I had to limit myself to one beer "grouping," it would be American beers; there's enough diversification among APAs, IPAs, Texas Browns, Americanized Stouts, etc. to keep things interesting, and Cascade can work in all of those.

Obviously, traditional English or German ales/lagers would be very difficult, although I would probably give some malt-driven German styles a try and hope that ALL of the flavor/aroma was out with a 90 minute boil. Wouldn't be ideal, but might work OK. Tough to make classic English ales, but I haven't been terribly successful at brewing these regardless, and this would just force me to develop my own American interpretations of something like a mild ale (which I think should be done, regardless).

Belgian beers can, in some contexts, be viewed as a little more forgiving of ingredients (not as strict with the "rules"), and since many of the Belgian styles I like are hop-light and require a 90 minute boil (Pilsner malt), I could probably get by with Cascade in there as well.

Really, the beers out there that are most hop-sensitive are American and English styles (IMHO), and I'd take American beers over English if I could only pick one. German and Belgian styles tend to not emphasize hop flavor and aroma, so I suspect I could cheat with a non-traditional hop more easily than if I were to try and brew an American IPA with something like Tettnag.

I've got Cascade, Tettnag, and Fuggles in bulk, so I've been using those wherever I can in most recipes. I've got a few other things like Amarillo and Centenial that I've used a fair amount of, but those first three hops have been my default choices for American, German, and English-style beers (if I had my druthers, I'd have Hallertau instread of Tettnag for the Germen and EKG for the Fuggles, but I bought what was available at the time).

Amarillo. Or US Goldings.

Amarillo: Because it's delicious.
US Goldings: Because I need them for Hobgoblin.

Amarillo: I couldn't brew Hobgoblin with them. I could brew about anything else, just by using tiny amounts. I bet a Belgian with a tiny bit of Amarillo for bittering could be good. Same with a wheat. Same with a Pilsner (although not very Noble, I'll admit it). My Amarillo Stout is pretty good. Amarillo is just a great hop, as LONG as you don't want to brew Hobgoblin, a English Bitter, or a English Pale Ale.
US Goldings: I could only make a English pale ale, not a nice APA. Also, I'd go through a TON of hops. Try making a 88 IBU stout with only 4.0%AA hops.

Amarillo, US Goldings, Challenger, Magnum, Pacific Gem, Hersbrucker.

Summit

High AA, great aroma and flavor

Hefe's would be a little oddly hoped, but would fit fine in an American Wheat

Cascade, Centennial, EKG, Hallertauer

Columbus

High alpha variety with great oil profile. Gives you plenty of bittering potential, and is still a great hop for flavor and aroma, mild cascade like. I use it to dry hop quite frequently.

A bit overpowering for some styles requiring a noble or earthy hop profile.

(4) What types of hops do you currently use for your most-brewed recipes?
Columbus, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, Hallertau varieties, Goldings

Yeah I brewed a Brown Ale with Cascades a month and a half ago. I'm drinking the beer now. The flavor is way off for a brown. Ended up more like a dark pale ale with nutty flavors. Not terrible, but I don't think I'll do that again.

I have one of those right now, except with Columbus. I am letting it age to help the hops mellow out. I like it quite a bit, but it is a little over the top and out of style, even for an American Brown.

Looks like I never actually answered the question, here's another one for Cascades.

Cascades

I love a good citrusy hop, especially in combination with Amarillo. I can make some nice clean easy to drink beers with Cascades, plus they are readily available at the LHBS.

I mentioned before, but I tried it with an Nut Brown and it really didn't turn out the way I hoped. Still a delicious beer, but definitely not a traditional nut brown.

Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial - I just bought a pound of each from hopsdirect.com

Did you have any late additions, or just bittering? For a nut brown, I wouldn't really think you'd want very much hop character regardless of type.

Did you have any late additions, or just bittering? For a nut brown, I wouldn't really think you'd want very much hop character regardless of type.

Yeah - I think I needed a punch in the face after that brew - 3oz of hops.

1 oz cascades - 60 min
.5oz cascades - 15 min
.5 oz amarillo - 5 min

dry hop .5oz cascades .5oz amarillo for a week

I was starting to get more adventurous, plus the recipe was roughly based off of one from the recipe list on this site (although I forget which one now).

I only brewed about 8 batches of beer to the point of brewing the nut brown and it was my 3rd non-kit brew - I was excited about trying new things.

Lesson Learned.

Which one would it be?

Centennial

Versatility. It can bitter well, and I like the flavor - it's a little spice, a little citrus and even a touch of pine.

It isn't ideal for British style ales, but in small doses it would work without any other options.

Mostly Centennial as a base hops with others as supplements for stronger bittering (Chinook) or complimentary flavoring/aroma (Cascade, Amarillo, etc.)

My only style I'm working to perfect that doesn't use Centennial is my stout. I'm also working on a pale ale, IPA and American Amber, all of which use Centennial as the major hops addition. In fact, my pale ale uses only Centennial.

10 characters for f$%^s sake!

Amarillo

I love the aroma.

I can't imagine using it for anything but IPAs/APAs.

Target, Kent Goldings, Centennial, Northern Brewer, Amarillo, Saaz (not much repetition in recipes).

a lot of votes for cascade, you crazy hop heads, you :p

Ya know, I figured that would be the case. There are a lot of Cascade fans out there. However, I find them just plain nasty. Can't stand that pungent cat pee & grapefruit flavor/aroma.

Death, seems like we've got similar brewing styles. You should give Challenger a look. Really nice hop.

Chad

Death, seems like we've got similar brewing styles. You should give Challenger a look. Really nice hop.

It's true. Challenger is teh tits. It's quickly going to replace US Golding as one of my faves. Really, Goldings, Fuggles, Challenger, even Cluster... they're all just to die for in English ales. I've never had a chance to try Northdown, though, I've heard it's spectacular.

And +1 to Cascade being a little overrated, in my opinion. If it's a choice, I'll take Centennial if I really want Grapefruit, or I'll just take Amarillo and revel in my honey pineapple goodness.

i just don't like the taste of grass and i always get that with cascade. when i do use it (i have some homegrown) i blend with the softer hops and it mellows that out a bit.

Challenger was bred in the UK from the Northern Brewer variety and released in the late 1960's. At an average 8% alpha acid, challenger is a good dual-purpose hop for both bittering and flavor/aroma.
The aroma is strong with refined spicy notes and can even have a fruity character.
Challenger blends well with other English hops and is a good substitute for Northern Brewer or Perle hops.

sounds really good and i don't think i've ever tried it. i think i'll give it a try in my next APA or steam beer. thanks for the recommendation.
:mug:

Saaz

Because it tastes good and is low AA, just how I like em.

Can't do (some of) the German styles I like (imo) as well (edit :p)

Saaz, Hallertau

I wouldn't call Cascade my FAVORITE hop of all time, but I'd consider it more versatile than something like Amarillo or any of the English or German varieties.

I always use Hallertau for the German stuff. Seems to go better IMO. Some Saaz I find around here are 2.5% AA, which I wouldn't use in say a rauchbier or dopplebock.

EKG

Because I like English Bitters/Pale Ales

None for the beers that I brew (except for depletion of the bank balance)

Willamette because I've run out of EKG

Cascade

I love the traditional american ales and love the taste of cascades with an IPA.

Pretty much anything dark and not american.

EK goldings, centinneal, cascade, wilamette

Williamette

Works for American and English beers, milds, browns, pale ales and English IPAs and English Barleywines

It doesn't taste like Cascade for the American pale ale/IPA and that's a good thing to me.

Willamette, Tett, and Vanguard because I have a mess of it. galena is going to get a bittering workout as soon as I break that pound open.

Centennial

Because it's offensively fruity and nicely bitter, and if I could only have one type of beer, I'd want it to be just like that.

It's got a pretty distinct aroma, so it'd be hard to come up with a more malty, less fruity kind of beer. Stouts, brown ales and Belgians would be off limits, or weird.

Cascades, Centennial, Amarillo

Which one would it be?

I would be hard pressed to pick between Fuggles and EKG... flip a coin.

They are just about all I ever use (if available...) either alone or in combination.

Almost none, except my house ESB has both in equal amounts, so it would suffer with just one.

Well I must confess that I brewed an English IPA with Amarillo for bittering hops to save money (and boiled the shucks out of 'em). I had to resort to Glacier and New Zeeland Goldings on my last batch.

your welcome!

East Kent Goldings

my favorite hop and a jack of all trades, with a historical tradition.

just have to use more for bittering big beers.

ekg, williamette, mt hood.

Back