Adding 1 gallon of water to 4 gallons of wort will raise or lower OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betelgeuse4721

Reaction score
Hey all,

I added 1 gallon of water to my 4 gallons of wort (that read 1.060).

I was wondering what effect this will have on my OG of 1.060 now that I added water.

Thanks,
Brady

It should lower it (make it closer to 1). Og is basically the amount of sugar in the volume of water, and you just watered it down a bit...

4 gallons of wort + 1 gallon of water = 5 gallons
4/5 = .8 or 80% was 1.060 wort, 1/5 = .2 or 20% 1.000 water
.8*(1.060-1.000) + 1.000 = 1.048 is your new SG

Of course, my math is probably wrong. Someone else want to explain this?

pretty easy really.

4(60)= 5(x)

Solve for X..
4 being old quantity, 60 being gravity reading, 5 being new quantity after dilution, x being new gravity reading.
240=5x
240/5 = 48 or 1.048

4 gallons of wort + 1 gallon of water = 5 gallons
4/5 = .8 or 80% was 1.060 wort, 1/5 = .2 or 20% 1.000 water
.8*(1.060-1.000) + 1.000 = 1.048 is your new SG

Of course, my math is probably wrong. Someone else want to explain this?

pretty easy really.

4(60)= 5(x)

Solve for X..
4 being old quantity, 60 being gravity reading, 5 being new quantity after dilution, x being new gravity reading.
240=5x
240/5 = 48 or 1.048

I guess I didn't realize that water was an even 1.000. That helps, thank you both.

I also just found that OG x percentage of old amount in new amount will get you the answer quick too:
.06 (OG) x .8 (4 gallons now in 5 gallons) = .048

good ol math

I guess I didn't realize that water was an even 1.000. That helps, thank you both.

So Specific Gravity is just a ratio of the density of a thing versus the density of what the thing is in. In our case SG is a measure of the sugar in water. This can get a little complicated because things like temperature and pressure can affect the density of water. I believe we measure density of water at a baseline value of 20 degrees C or 68F. At that temperature and I guess sea level pressure (?) the density of water is 1.000. The fun part of brewing is you get to learn all new sorts of math, physics, chemistry, electronics, welding, etc. if you want to fully understand what you are doing.:ban:

Ask questions and don't let those who might make fun of you stop you from learning. This place is awesome! Also, learn to use the search function as not only will it answer your questions, it almost always leads me on a new journey of knowledge I wasn't even expecting! :mug:

Back