Pale Ale Malt - High Protein content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a sack of Pale Ale Malt (3.5L), and was kind of surprised to find such a high protein content. I was expecting something around 12%, but the Total Protein is 13%, Soluble Protein is 5.4%, and S/T is 41.8. That seems to be getting close to 6-Row territory vs a 2-Row Pale Malt.

Any suggestions/advice on mashing with this? Will I need to perform a protein rest to prevent haze, or is the SP and S/T enough that I should be fine? This is definitely the highest total protein barley malt I've ever brewed with.

I picked up a sack of grain on the cheap from my local homebrew supply in Portland, OR which I was told had higher protein content. Apparently, the malt supply company practically gave it to them because no commercial breweries would go for it. Then a month later when I was looking at my finished beer I kept wondering why it was so hazy. Then I remembered the 2-row had higher protein.

So yeah, long story short; I would give it a protein rest and see if that works. You could also add, for a pretty penny, this stuff called clarity ferm, which will "digest" quite a few of those haze causing proteins.

Per Narziss and Fix via Narziss you would want to do a protein rest in SNR is below 40 and not otherwise. This is right on the borderline.

According the Bamforth very little proteolysis occurs in the mash anyway, so it doesn't matter.

A brief protein rest likely won't hurt anything here, but I would consider using this for beers that will have some nitrogen diluting adjuncts (sugar, corn etc). That was the reason adjunct was originally used with six row barley in US lager brewing.

Back