Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
I made a 2 gallon batch of cider and added some brown sugar and frozen concentrate....probably enough to double the amount of sugar in the batch. I doubled the amount of yeast I used. I think this may have been a mistake, but I'm not sure. With a finite amount of fermentable sugar in the batch will the larger amount of yeast simply cause a shorter fermentation with more sludge at the bottom? Any major pitfalls I need to watch out for while this is fermenting?

Thanks!

Cb

Actually, you won't even have a faster fermentation probably. The excess yeast will just drop out when there isn't anything to eat. It may taste "yeasty" for a while, but that's about it. You probably didnt' even overpitch by much. One package of dry yeast is good for up to 6 gallons of wine/cider, though, so no need to double up next time!

The yeast packet is designed for a 2 gallon batch, but I imagine it would have sufficed. Oh well.

Back