What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started early today making things for tonight. I made my cheese log (no plastic wrap,so bomb instead. I use half a large container of Hell pf a Good french onion dip (All real dairy),with one bar cream cheese,softened & mixed in with a wooden spoon. One bar sharp cheddar,finely shredded & mixed in with the spoon. Press mixture into a small bowl lined with plastic (I wound up using a blue plastic shopping bag) cover & fridge a few hours to firm up.
Then remove & uncover onto a decent size serving tray or pizza pan covered with foil. Lightly press bread crumbs or nuts ground in a food processor onto the outside. Remove excess crumbs & serve with crackers arranged around the bomb.
I then use the remaining dip to mix with half a bar of shredded sharp cheddar,4 dashes Lee & Parrin's,& a little onion powder & red pepper mixed in for a savory chip dip.

That sounds great. I haven't had a cheese ball/log for years.

Forgot to mention I put parsley in the dip as well. I've been making that cheese log/bomb thing for at least 20 years. Everybody always looks forward to it. The dip was a new idea I had last night while watching Chef Ramsie's home cooking videos on youtube.

Just pulled these bad boys out of the oven. It ain't Xmas in Kentucky without Bourbon Pecan Pies. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387922049.400234.jpg

You're killing me with this one! My favorite!
It was d@mn good!
My cookies for the year - a dozen varieties from super sweet to savory.

Mark, those all look awesome!

I'm making up some green bean casserole and candied yams to take to my momma's house. A little whiskey for the yams, and a little for the chef!

Merry Christmas friends!

IMG-20131225-00599.jpg

Today I'm leaving work early to use up some vacation time and I think I'll try my hand at making some Baklava. I've only had the crappy Walmart version, and liked it, so I expect the fresh homemade version to be even better.

Today I'm leaving work early to use up some vacation time and I think I'll try my hand at making some Baklava. I've only had the crappy Walmart version, and liked it, so I expect the fresh homemade version to be even better.

Oh you will love it! Use good honey....

I helped my mother-in-law cook some beef tenderloins without turning them into charcoal...

Haha, it's an expensive cut of meat!

Next time, ask the butcher to "tuck and tie" the tenderloin roast. They fold the tapered end over and tie the roast up into a uniform log, which then keeps the thin end from being overcooked. You can do it yourself with butchers twine, but a good butcher will do a really nice job of it. Like this:

IMG_5421.jpg

I'll be grilling one myself in a few days. It's my family's favorite!

I usually make it every year, but I didn't get around to it this year. I'm missing it, but my health is thanking me for it. I can't seem to leave the stuff alone when I have it in the house.

Butterflied and grilled pork tenderloin for Christmas Eve, while smoking salmon for breakfast Christmas morn. I used cherry wood this time over the normal go to apple, and I was very pleased with the flavor.

ForumRunner_20131226_142122.jpg

I have to give credit to the wife for going above and beyond on everything else cooked/baked over the past couple days.

I browned up a sirloin tip roast with sea salt & pepper & roasted it on top of chunked potatoes. With 2 bottles of my Whiskely stout & 1.5C of bef billion. Rosemary,basil,garlic & sun dried tomatoes on that. The gravy from that cast iron slillet of browned bits was great.

Stuffed smoked pork tenderloin. First, I "unrolled" the tenderloin into a flat, thin rectangle.

20131223_232848.jpg

Then I spread a layer of homemade corn bread stuffing onto the loin...

20131223_233534.jpg

Roll it up and tie it (with SWMBO's help)...

20131223_234445.jpg

Smoke for about 3 hours until internal temp hits 165F...

20131224_093200.jpg

Slice and serve with homemade apple sauce!

20131224_185849-1.jpg

A big hit for the family!

Stuffed smoked pork tenderloin. First, I "unrolled" the tenderloin into a flat, thin rectangle.

Very nice job...that looks awesome!

Man, I've got to do that. Are there cranberries in that stuffing?

Glad you like the idea. Yes, those are dried, chopped cranberries. I use a basic corn bread stuffing recipe out of Better Homes & Garden cookbook and just add the cranberries. Adds a really great dimension.

20131223_232848.jpg

20131223_233534.jpg

20131223_234445.jpg

20131224_093200.jpg

20131224_185849-1.jpg

That's awesome on so many levels, I think I need a towel.
Regards, GF.

Oh you will love it! Use good honey....

I usually make it every year, but I didn't get around to it this year. I'm missing it, but my health is thanking me for it. I can't seem to leave the stuff alone when I have it in the house.

It turned out great! Well, it LOOKS great anyway! I haven't tried it yet. I bought a bag of pistachios, but when I went to make it I noticed the recipe called for 16 ounces of nuts, and the bag was only 6 ounces. I must have misread the bag at the store.

So I substituted the remainder with hazelnuts. My wife doesn't care for walnuts, so that's what I went with. We'll see.

After baking and pouring the sugar solution on top it looks fantastic!

And all of these pictures of pork tenderloins are making me hungry! I am going to microwave some leftover "chicken drumsticks" (Chopped meat, formed and pressed into the shape of small drumsticks with the worst BBQ sauce I've ever had). Leftovers from my mom's Xmas party. They aren't all that good, comparatively speaking, but still better than starving...

It turned out great! Well, it LOOKS great anyway! I haven't tried it yet. I bought a bag of pistachios, but when I went to make it I noticed the recipe called for 16 ounces of nuts, and the bag was only 6 ounces. I must have misread the bag at the store.

So I substituted the remainder with hazelnuts. My wife doesn't care for walnuts, so that's what I went with. We'll see.

And all of these pictures of pork tenderloins are making me hungry! I am going to microwave some leftover "chicken drumsticks" (Chopped meat, formed and pressed into the shape of small drumsticks with the worst BBQ sauce I've ever had). Leftovers from my mom's Xmas party. They aren't all that good, comparatively speaking, but still better than starving...

Pics?

I've butterflied pork center loins & stuffed then with cornbread stuffing for the pit. But never used chopped cranberries. Looks interesting. And that slight blush of pink had to make it melt in your mouth tender!:mug:

It sounds delicious. You can't go wrong with the hazelnuts in the mix. I typically use at least 3 types of nuts in mine. Did you use any rose water or orange blossom water in the nut mixture?

That looks absolutely delicious!
When I was early in the Navy, Just made Supervisor, they gave me a technican, he was Puerto Rican and this is a slight variation of his Mother's recipe for Pork Loin stuffed with Mashed Green Plantains(Mofongo)

Roast Pork Stuffed with Green Mashed Plantains

*Special Note: If you have a nice piece of skin save it and season it to wrap the roast in.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Part 1 – The Roast
14-16 cloves of garlic
6tbsp of white vinegar
¼C of olive oil
3tbsp of oregano
2tbsp of fresh ground black pepper
½tsp of salt for every pound of meat or to taste
My Addition: half of a medium white or yellow onion
Take the above ingredients and blend to a paste. If it is too dry, add a little more oil and vinegar.

After you have rinsed and pat-dried your pork, “butterfly it” and season well with the paste inside and out. *Save some seasoning for the skin!

Part 2 – Mofongo
3 green plantains – cut in 1” rounds – fry until golden and drain
3 garlic cloves
½C of chicken broth
Salt/Pepper to taste
My Addition: Small bunch of Cilantro
Large splash of olive oil
My Addition - couple splashes of Lime Juice and a splash of Rum
Small bag of pork crackling or ½lb of fresh pork skin (chicharron) (if you don’t have any skin, My Addition: use crispy bacon)
Put all ingredients into your blender and pulse until it all comes together, you're making a paste. Place mofongo stuffing in center of butterflied roast roll it up and tie it.

*Take seasoned skin and place on top of roast.

Cover roast with aluminum foil and cook for 3 hours, then uncover and baste. Cook for the remainder of time until when you puncture it and the juices run clear.
Rule: 35 minutes at 350 F per pound of pork.

Let rest 15 minutes and slice and serve with Caribbean black beans and rice.

That looks absolutely delicious!
When I was early in the Navy, Just made Supervisor, they gave me a technican, he was Puerto Rican and this is a slight variation of his Mother's recipe for Pork Loin stuffed with Mashed Green Plantains(Mofongo)

Roast Pork Stuffed with Green Mashed Plantains

*Special Note: If you have a nice piece of skin save it and season it to wrap the roast in.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Part 1 – The Roast
14-16 cloves of garlic
6tbsp of white vinegar
¼C of olive oil
3tbsp of oregano
2tbsp of fresh ground black pepper
½tsp of salt for every pound of meat or to taste
My Addition: half of a medium white or yellow onion
Take the above ingredients and blend to a paste. If it is too dry, add a little more oil and vinegar.

After you have rinsed and pat-dried your pork, “butterfly it” and season well with the paste inside and out. *Save some seasoning for the skin!

Part 2 – Mofongo
3 green plantains – cut in 1” rounds – fry until golden and drain
3 garlic cloves
½C of chicken broth
Salt/Pepper to taste
My Addition: Small bunch of Cilantro
Large splash of olive oil
My Addition - couple splashes of Lime Juice and a splash of Rum
Small bag of pork crackling or ½lb of fresh pork skin (chicharron) (if you don’t have any skin, My Addition: use crispy bacon)
Put all ingredients into your blender and pulse until it all comes together, you're making a paste. Place mofongo stuffing in center of butterflied roast roll it up and tie it.

*Take seasoned skin and place on top of roast.

Cover roast with aluminum foil and cook for 3 hours, then uncover and baste. Cook for the remainder of time until when you puncture it and the juices run clear.
Rule: 35 minutes at 350 F per pound of pork.

Let rest 15 minutes and slice and serve with Caribbean black beans and rice.

SubSailior. That sounds delicious. Can't wait till I get settled back on to my own kitchen again. Many great recipes on this thread and this is one I can't wait to try. My wife will love it too!

I hope to be posting my wife's Ozoni soup recipe soon. I asked her to take pics of all the ingredients and of the final product.

Her family makes it every year for New Years.

Japanese roots it's grounded in. I have no idea if this soup is legitimate Japanese soup but I'm positive started out that way generations ago.

There are a variety of roots in the mix. All very fibrous. Believe me. It will give your innards a good cleaning out. Perfect way to start a new year! 😊😊

I'll post with pics soon as I can.

To name a few

Konbu, chicken, stock, lotus root or hasu, araimo or japanese potato, dashi konbu, carrots, gobo, fishcake, takenoku or bamboo shoots, shiitake mushrooms, mizuna, mochi.

Dang if I know what each of those are. Lot of roots, some seaweeds, chicken stock (I would have thought fish stock more original). Smells up the house something awful but in the end tastes pretty good and the next few days bowel movements will be a grand symphony orchestra. But you'll feel great! :) :)

I'd like to tell you all about mochi pounding. Truly is a family day of pounding sweet rice into a mush and then making desserts out of it. This to my wife's Japanese heritage family is pure comfort food. To me? Not so much. If I wasn't who I am I wouldn't ever even give it a try but since marriage is much about compromises. I give this a fair shot.

I'd like to tell you all about mochi pounding. Truly is a family day of pounding sweet rice into a mush and then making desserts out of it. This to my wife's Japanese heritage family is pure comfort food. To me? Not so much. If I wasn't who I am I wouldn't ever even give it a try but since marriage is much about compromises. I give this a fair shot.

glad I am not married . that pounding looks like a lot of work .

General Tzos chicken made yesterday. Baked mac and cheese today with a Crispy Shredded beef planned for tomorrow!

Back