Emergency Mid Brew question!!! Grains/Grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawawrx

Reaction score
i just simmered the grains in the bag for 30 minutes @ ~152 degrees and the instructions say sparse with 2 gallons of water. am i supposed to remove the grains or leave them in for the entirety of the boil? help!!! TIA for the quick answers

Take the grain bag and let drain into the steeping pot. Then either sparge the grains with 170F water or you can probably safely skip it. If you are doing an extract with specialty grains, I don't think sparging is all that necessary as long as you let the grains drain well.

A sparge is basically just a rinse of the grains. If you're going to add water for the boil, just throw your grains in a strainer and pour your top up water over them. Better if the water's hot, but if you can't heat the sparge water, then cool is better than nothing.

DO NOT BOIL THE GRAINS!

thanks a lot! helped greatly!

just burnt a bit of my LME and my handles on my brew pot decided to start leaking, duct tape FTW.

860f4dca.jpg

Back