Am I making cider right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebrandon

Reaction score
I am new to the world of brewing and as sort of a test to get my feet wet I decided to make some cider as the ingredients were readily available. My question, before I tell what I did, is am I doing this right and is there any danger of me making myself sick? I didnt really think about taking many precautions but I realize that I maybe should before having my first drink. So here is what I did, I got this from a video on youtube :

In a small plastic bottle I took the peel of an unwashed organic apple and combined it with the juice and pulp of that apple that I mixed up in the food processor along with a bit of water. I let it sit in a dark place at room temp for one month. By then I could see small bubble in it so I figured I was on my way.

Next I added about a cup of my bubbly mix, just the liquid and some small solids, no peel or anything, to a gallon jug of organic pressed, not from concentrate, apple juice. No preservatives but it has been pasturized. Instead of the lid, and since I didnt have an airlock, I rubber banded some plastic wrap to the opening of the jug and poked a small hole in the top, as advised by the video, and let it sit on top of my fridge in a paper bag for one weeks time.

So after a week in the jug I was getting a lot of little bubbles and the top had a white foam on top with a little bit of the pulpy setiment from the bottom of the jug. I poured it into a half gallon plastic bottle and the rest into cleaned beer bottles with twist off caps that I saved. So now everything has a top on it, oh also, I did taste and smell it for any foul odors or anything else which there were none. It tasted fine, couldnt taste much alcohol but the vid said it would only come out about 3 % with this method. So now that they are capped I have them sitting out and letting them charge, video term, meaning what I hope is that the liquid will absorb the CO2 that cant escape and make it bubbly. The video said to charge for 24 hours but if I left it longer how much of a risk am I running in the way of my bottles exploding?

Are there any signs I should look for a bad brew or will I just know by taste and smell?

Is it possible to poison yourself homebrewing?

When I put it in the fridge I assume that it will continue to ferment at a much slower rate but do I have a time period I should drink it in or should I pasturize the bottles to stop fermentation?

Thanks so much for any and all help and for reading this obscenely long post!

There are many ways to make cider, but this one seems a little odd. Most cider makers just use apple juice, no food processing required. Also, you did not mention yeast. Did you pitch any?
The best way to get started making cider is probably by going to the cider forum right here on the board. There are also dozens of recipes if you scroll down to the bottom of the main page.
And no, you can't poison yourself homebrewing. It's not like moonshining where something gone wrong can kill you. The worst that can happen making beer and cider is an infected batch and you will KNOW if that happens.

Sounds like the method you used relies on the wild yeasts present on apple skins. Wild yeasts range from downright nasty to excellent. If the brew you did comes out great, be sure to culture the yeast for future use.

I wouldn't use the method you did for something I was counting on - but sounds like a great experiment. If it smells ok I'd take a taste - if it tastes ok, culture the yeast and drink away. If it tastes bad but you're confident it's not because of a bacterial infection, set her away for a while...

Back