Hard water spots on stainless steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsSolo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to start off by saying thanks to all of you that contribute to these forums!! There is a wealth of info on here for a noob like myself.

Now down to business. I recently purchased a 14 gal. SS Brewtech Chronical Fermenter used from a guy who is downsizing. I'm absolutely in love with this thing and I haven't even used it myself yet. I'm a bit of a neat freak and obsessed with keeping my equipment looking brand new and such. Although this fermenter was extremely well maintained and cared for there are some stubborn hard water spots on it that are left behind from not drying off the stainless steel after washing and rinsing.

My question is this, is there any way to remove those spots so I can have this thing new looking again? I've tried using PBW and a soft microfibre cloth with lots of "elbow grease" but that isn't working. I was thinking about maybe soaking the entire thing overnight in PBW as well. I do not want to get into polishing pads and compounds so I'm hoping there is an easier solution for me.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I use Bar Keepers Friend on my brew pots for any hard water stains. Works great to get the stubborn stains off. If you have a mirror finish on your fermenter you might want to test it in an inconspicuous spot to check for scratching. I have never had any problem with it at all though.

Don't use Bar Keeper's Friend on the volume etchings in the Ss Chronical as it can fade the markings. It's ok to use around them though. If the spots are where the volume markings are you can use 1oz of StarSan to 1 gallon of water and let sit for 20-30 minutes and then rinse it out thoroughly. The spots will be gone.

Rev.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will pick up some Bar Keepers Friend and try it while being careful not to go near the volume etchings on the inside.

Thanks again!

Back