Shiner Blonde clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdd134

Reaction score
Just a quick question about a clone kit that I received from AHB. It is a Shiner Blonde clone, and the hops that was included where 1oz of brewers gold 9.0% Alpha Acids. Is that correct for this style? It shows a boil time of 60 minutes with the 1oz of hops. I think that would be an IBU of 40 correct me if I am wrong.

I have made a Red Ale with an IBU of 40 and It was to bitter for me.

the full recipe for the Shiner Blonde clone is

3# 6 Row
3# Vienna
2.25# Flaked Maize

1oz Brewers Gold 9.0%

I got 44 IBU's with a quick calculation. Just add 1/2 to 3/4 oz. so you get your desired bitterness.

According to BeerSmith there will only be 34.3 IBUs which is on the heavier side for a blonde.

You can reduce it to .50 oz and be at 17.1 IBUs. Then put the rest of the .50 oz in at FO for aroma.

But this is your beer, you will be drinking it, so style it to your taste. Do what desertbronze suggests.

That is the whole sport of HBN!

Good luck! Looks like a nice golden recipe.

Let us know how it turns out.

- WW

homebrewer_99 said:
Did you know that in OK Shiner (TX) is an import??? :mad:

Yep it sucks. I had to pay a deposit for a local liquor store to even order it for me I only live about 30 minutes from TX lol. I just tried a kolsch for the first time last night and it is very good, it was a shiner kolch. A kolsch will be my next brew

Has anyone tried shiner blonde and if so what do you think the IBU should be?

I live in TX, I like Shiner beers, even though their famous Bock is actually just a (very good) dark American lager. The Shiner Blonde, according to their website FAQ, comes in at 13 IBU's. I really would have guessed it higher, but there's their words.

The grains in your recipe look close, IMHO. I would use half the hops you've got, a quarter for 60min and a quarter for 15min.

;)

Thanks for all the help this was my first all grain, I started it last night and I used 1/4oz of the hops at the first then 1/4oz 15 minutes till the end.

everything looked good I will let everyone know how it turns out

Latest posts

Back