Some very lovely krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzu

Reaction score
I brewed a 12g batch of ale at 1.049 SG the other night. I built the yeast up to a 1.5L starter from a 3 MONTH OLD slant, and pitched it in the wort. I did not oxygenate, and pitched in the low 60's. I only brew at night, and woke up in the morning to find this:
yeastbergs.jpg

Soft-serve Cali Ale goodness!!

haha Revvy beat me to the meringue comment. thats some tasty looking krausen.:ban:

I couldn't bring myself to disturb it... I was kind of afraid it would need skimming to control it, but its a full blanket now past its peak and hasn't blown over. it smelled nice though :)

It has perfect peaks. Did you make a starter in a cold copper bowl by any chance?

As much as I love my better bottles, I get some of the best beer out of that simple bucket from NB. I just did an oatmeal stout that I left in it for 2 weeks, and it was phenomenal. It will fit 10g, and the top doesn't seal at all, it just sits on loose. Its done 4 or 5 batches and I have managed so far never to have touched the inside of it with anything but liquids. Its as close to open fermentation that I will ever go. Maybe the yeasts are loving the fact that there is no positive pressure.

As much as I love my better bottles, I get some of the best beer out of that simple bucket from NB. I just did an oatmeal stout that I left in it for 2 weeks, and it was phenomenal. It will fit 10g, and the top doesn't seal at all, it just sits on loose. Its done 4 or 5 batches and I have managed so far never to have touched the inside of it with anything but liquids. Its as close to open fermentation that I will ever go. Maybe the yeasts are loving the fact that there is no positive pressure.

I always use a blowoff tube with my better bottles, and a very very small amount of Starsan in the bottom of a 750ml Belgian bottle to put the hose in. Specifically because it creates less back pressure on it. I also grab the hose and give it a lift to let any excess pressure vent out of it when I happen to walk by/near it during the fermentation. :)

It perplexes me why people use a 55 gallon drum of sanitizer for the blowoff tube lol.

Back