Adding coconut to Extract Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt512

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm currently in the primary fermentation stage of an American Cream Ale made from an extract kit. I had the bright idea of adding toasted coconut to the secondary when I rack it next week. I've read up a little, and have found that the oils in the coconut will affect the head of the beer. Does this mean the beer won't carbonate well? Also, is it even worth doing (I.e. Does the coconut flavor even come through using this method?) I'm open to all suggestions, but I'd really like to try to incorporate a hint of coconut in this ale. Any thoughts? PS, how hard will it be to get the coconut out of the carboy, should I decide to go that route? Thanks!

make sure to use unsweetened coconut. I used 2lbs (unsweetened, toasted in oven) in a 5gal batch of porter. Left it in the secondary for 3 weeks. The bottles carbonated fine but there is no head retention. You can actually see the oils on top of the beer when you hold it in the light. I had to put a muslin bag over the bottom of my autosiphon when transferring to a bottling bucket. The coconut mostly floated on top. The carboy was easy to clean up. Just washed it all out. Bottles have a good coconut flavor - you can definately tell it's in there but not overpowering.

Great thanks! I'm looking forward to trying it. Never would've thought to add two entire pounds! I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
Matt

i would toast the flakes, then squeeze them in a rolled up paper towel to grab as much oil as possible, though i don't know how much flavor is in the meat vs. the oil.

Back