Just Kegged my First Brew -- Few Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihearthops

Reaction score
So I just kegged my first AG batch last night, a Belgian Wit. Everything went pretty well, no major hiccups to speak of, however i've got a few carbing questions that I cant seem to get a good answer for based on my situation.

I transferred the beer, sealed it up, set the pressure to ~14psi, purged the Oxygen and put it in the fridge to cool.

So... on to my questions..

I had considered trying to force carb the brew at a high psi after it cools, but am unsure of the correct method to do so -- It would be great if I can have the beer carbed up and ready to drink by Sunday. I have read multiple threads that mention turning the the regulator up to 30psi after the keg chills, and rolling it on my lap for a minute or two to increase surface area for co2 injection. Is this necessary if I want the beer carbed by Sunday, because i've also read that often times it can be carbed in as little as 4 days at the constant psi required for the appropriate carbonation level. If I do use the force carb and shake/roll method, do I only keep the regulator at 30psi for the duration of the time i'm rolling it, or do I leave it? If so, for how long?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :rockin:

Your beer should equalize in just 2 or 3 days. If you shake it at 30 psi, it can be done very quickly, but depends on how hard your shaking. Sounds stupid, but you just have to let it settle and test it out every 5 min or so. Belgian wits are very bubbly (3-3.2 and up) so over carbonating is not too much of an issue. I recommend getting a carbonation stone for $20. You attach it to a length of hose and then to the co2 port on the inside of the keg. Your beer will be ready in 15 min, perfectly carbed by the setting of temperature and pressure, with no shaking or other physical effort.

I would set your regulator to 30psi for 36-48 hours, then bring it back down to serving psi until you are ready to drink.
I have done this before when I was in a hurry and it became pretty close to being carbed properly

your force carbonating it right now. it will just take longer than if you hit it with 30 psi. if you want to go with the shake method set the PSI to the appropriate pressure for the current temp of the beer. then like you said shake, shake, shake. when you shake you will see the gauge on the regulator drop then come back up when you stop shaking. keep shaking till the gauge no longer drops when shaking. at that point you are fully carbed and can just put it back in the fridge and wait till Sunday.

So should keeping the keg at the appropriate psi for the carbonation level I am looking for (14 psi given the current temp) and giving it a minute or two "shake session" then leaving it to settle until Sunday (at the same psi) yield good results, or should I just set the regulator to 30psi for 48hrs (and not shake) then bump it back to 14psi and let it sit til serving day?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that I should always try to employ the "set it and forget it" method, but i'm really anxious to get this ready by Sunday.

Thanks again for everyones responses so far -- I really appreciate it. I'll get the hang of this before too long.

Personally I would set it at 25PSI for two days, drop to serving pressure until you are ready to drink. I did the 30psi for 48 hours and got an overcarbed beer... Sunday you will have carbonation if you bump it up a LITTLE for a few days, then bring down to serving temp and let sit. better a little under carbed than overcarbed, that's for sure!

I have made Belgian Wit several times and it typically takes about 7 - 10 days for "set it and forget it" pressures to get it right. I agree with others to set it at 25 - 30psi for 24-36 hours, then drop the pressure in the tank to the serving pressure you desire.

Wits are best served young, from what I have heard, but some of my Wit has lasted more than a month and it only seems to get better (to me anyway).

Salute! :mug:

Thanks again for everyones replies -- this forum continues to amaze me with peoples willingness to lend advice.

So, based off everyones response, this is my gameplan..

I kegged the beer Tuesday night, purged o2, set the psi to 14, and put in the fridge to cool. Last night I bumped the pressure to 30psi and plan to let it sit for 24hrs. I then am going to kill the gas, purge the headspace, and reduce the pressure to 12psi and let sit until Sunday.

I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Thanks again. :mug:

Latest posts

Back