My next brew: chocolate cherry porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I stopped by the LHBS store today to pick up some stick on thermometers, cleaning solution, and carboy handles. Well I couldnt leave the store without picking up something else to brew. I told myself I was going to wait 2 weeks to let my batches have some time in between.

Needless to say that didnt happen and I picked up one of the stores recipe of the month kits, a chocolate cherry porter. The lady there said it should taste somewhere like the new Sam Adams chocolate bock with a hint of cherry in it.

The kit is still an extract kit but it does have 3 different types of grains that I got to crush myself, real bakers chocolate squares, and liquid pitchable yeast. This should be a good one to brew and I am going to take my time with it and let it ferment out right.

I may brew it up today if I do ill take some pics and post them but I may have to go out with the SWMBO if thats the case no brew today.

Their description for this says that it is good after 2-4 weeks and best after 2 months.

So my question here is how should I split up the fermenting times. Im thinking maybe
2 weeks primary
3 weeks secondary
3 weeks + bottles

I'd go a month in primary. If you're adding chocolate and/or cherries after the primary, put them into secondary and rack the beer on top of them.

Wait another week then taste. once you've got enough flavor (from what you put in the secondary) then keg/bottle.

Then put them in a closet and forget about them for another 2 months.

B

Back