My acid test kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I used my test kit for the first time today...Everything went well except the endpoint color. It was a purple must using muscadines. I added 10 cc of must and 20cc of distilled water. So my sample was pink in color. I added 4 drops of indicator and then added Neutralizer one drop at a time. My instructions said it would turn pink but it turned blue....? Anyone have the same problem? I used the blue endpoint as my result and ended up added 3 tablespoons of acid blend to bring it up to .52

If you add water to the must then aren't you deluteing the acid? Wouldn't that give you a lower reading than is actually in the must? I've always tested the must by itself. If you're starting out with something purple then you're looking for a grey color. I'm still pretty new at this myself so lets see what other people have to say.

Ya you are dilluting it, but I think the kit allows for the dillution and my kit may be differant than some. Thats what I got was a grey color endpoint. When I am done I take the amount of Neutralizer in cc's and multiply by .075. I am no chemist by far but I think you could run it not dilluted but it would take more of the chemicals, unless you used less of the sample?

Back