Boil Over - Don't Let This Happen To You Home Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol you added 1 oz of warrior hops and OH S#!T... never heard of it.. i've heard of cat s#!t, somebody tried to mash some the other day

Actually, if you look close I only got about half the 1 oz bag in before I realized the imminent boil over and stopped adding....obviously was too late though but at least I saved half of the warrior hops. :)

I've had boil overs indoors, outdoors, and honestly, it's happened many times. When you're maxing out your kettle capacity on a batch, it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of when.

That said, I've found (through much trial and ERROR) that a solid and complete hotbreak before adding the first hop addition will make this occurence far less likely (a boil over upon first hop addition). The only thing to make it even less likely than that is a bigger pot, which, because I'm functionally retarded when it comes to boilovers, is what I did. I now do my 5 gallong boils (7G preboil) in a 10G kettle and have plenty of headspace for a good healthy vigorous hotbreak.

This video, and that reaction are priceless. Thanks for sharing, and I hope it makes you feel better to know we've all had it happen at one time or another. Rookies and vets alike.

Thanks to you and all the other home brewer posts! I wanted to share this to give you all a good laugh and to alert other home brewer rookies to take caution. It may not happen your first, or second batch (like me), but let your guard down, it probably will get you at some point. Bigger kettle is definitely good advice and I thought about that before making the purchase of my 5 gallon but was afraid the larger kettles would be too big for my gas range (although I am now going outdoors to brew anyway; wife's orders). Some day I plan on doing All Grain brewing but I wanted to learn the basics first; I think that was a good move, don't you guys? ;-)

A spray bottle with cold water in it will nuke those boilovers before they demolish your kitchen.

D'oh! Oh well, things might be sticky for a while.

'Dude, why's your floor sticky?' 'Well, I was busy making you BEER, which you are drinking with enjoyment, right now, and I'd like a thank you.' :D

That happened to me on a WHITE stovetop. The wort tuned into a baked-on layer of black awfulness. It took many, many applications of Easy Off to clean it up.

Newbies - read this. This is what happens. I have never had a boild over indoors, but I always seems to get a drop or two on my electric stove top. Takes some serious elbow grease to get it off.

The same thing happened to me when I added the hops to the first batch I ever brewed. Luckily, I had a slightly larger pot, so I was able to get it off the heat before it boiled over. Since it was my first brew, I had no idea hops would do that to the boil. Since then I've poured the hops onto the spoon and slowly kind of dip the spoon in and out of the wort until it seems to be safe to dump them. Seems to work...until it doesn't.

Back