Have not seen this wort chiller before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I often reduce the water pressure because the exit water isn't warm enough. 5 gallons boiling wort into an ice bath to 70 degrees in 20 minutes sometimes less, depends on if I have the time to stir it.

Brewsday said:
In case anyone still looks at this thread...here's my handywork...I had a small 1/4" IC and aquired a short 3/8" IC...so I married them together (outside of the brewpot in case of leakage) to form what I called frankenchiller (which is a name I think I've read elsewhere so no intent to step on other's toes). It works great...and if you read any of my other posts you'll see that I'm "wicked cheap" (as we say up here in Maine).

I have one very similar what do you use to clean it off. I think I may have ruined mine. I let it sit in a bucket over night with 1 cup bleach and it turned the bucket and water black with significant oxidation on the copper. I have scrubbed it and now boiling the chiller again Will PBW be safe?
Can this be made usable again?

I once used a pretty strong white vinegar with a little warm water mix to clean the inside of some old copper tube...worked pretty well and at least vinegar's cheap. I'd try that. Maybe you could fill an old milk jug with water stuck inside the coil to displace some of the bucket contents and keep the solution stronger. From what I've read you really don't want any of the green oxidation in your beer. Also, once you get it clean again just rinse with water after a batch...there's no need to sanitize (since you boil it for 10 minute (right?!) and the wort will keep it nice and shiny forever!

Back