AG Mash Temp measurement question -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoofdogABC

Reaction score
Hi, Have done several batches of AG brew, using the 5-gal rubbermaid cooler system, and am finding that, after dough-in and considerable stirring.mixing, I still get some fairly wide fluxuations in temperature depending on where I put the probe - often 3 degrees F or more. On the odd occasion, I have had one area 5 degrees or more below the rest of mash. Often one side seems to be warmer than the other. I can stir stir stir with a mash paddle and still get similar variation. Say I am shooting for a 153f mash (in reality at this point just hoping to hit 152-154 as I continue to see how mass of grain + equipment impacts needed water temp), I might get some 155f, 151f, etc.

Is this normal? How do I avoid it if undesirable?

Hi, Have done several batches of AG brew, using the 5-gal rubbermaid cooler system, and am finding that, after dough-in and considerable stirring.mixing, I still get some fairly wide fluxuations in temperature depending on where I put the probe - often 3 degrees F or more. On the odd occasion, I have had one area 5 degrees or more below the rest of mash. Often one side seems to be warmer than the other. I can stir stir stir with a mash paddle and still get similar variation. Say I am shooting for a 153f mash (in reality at this point just hoping to hit 152-154 as I continue to see how mass of grain + equipment impacts needed water temp), I might get some 155f, 151f, etc.

Is this normal? How do I avoid it if undesirable?

I have found it normal, and all the advice I see given on the forums whenever this comes up is to stir better. To get the mash at the bottom to the top and visa versa.

That said, I have the same problem as you...I stick the therm. way down to the bottom and sometimes get up to 160, then get 154 in the middle, and 148 up top. I stir it like crazy, and it levels out. Then I close up my mash tun and check 10 min later...SAME THING.

SO if it helps, know you are not alone, but I have not found a solution myself!

Back