adding fruit extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coy

Reaction score
Ok so I did search and couldn't read all threads that popped up.

I have no secondary and won't get one for at least 2 months.

I wanted to add some fruit flavoring to my last brew (brewed, wedneday May 12,10). Can I add it after the fermenting has finished or can I add it like this wednesday? it would have been fermenting for a week. I'm expecting it to fermenting for about 2 weeks maybe 3 at the most. so wanted to see if adding a fruit concentrate during the last week would do anything or it'd be a waist of time.

Just in case.
60min boil. I used 5lbs of amber malt extract, 2lbs of honey, 1oz cascade hopes (30min), .5oz cascade (10min) and .5oz cascade (5min) oh and my yeast is a safale s-04 (says english ale type) my og was 1.48

I believe if you just have the extract (not real fruit, just the flavoring concentrate in a bottle), you just add it during bottling. Basically it goes in the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, at least that's the way I understand it.

Right, extract is different than puree. I use fruit puree - I add it after the wort is finished with primary fermentation. Fermentation starts up again after adding the fruit, as the yeast attacks the fruit sugars.

Extract is just the flavoring, not fermentable, just add it to taste when you bottle.

When adding the extract I would recommend adding small amounts to taste in your bottling bucket. I used a spruce extract that called for 1 tsp per gallon, so I added 1 tsp at a time and found that 2.5 tsps gave my 5 gallon batch a distinct spruce taste. Any more would have been too much spruce.

The employee at my LBHS actually advised against adding the fruit extract to the fermenter. His theory was that the bubbling action during fermentation would dull the fruit flavor.

Thanks for the info.. I appreciate it.
NOW do I have to use a specific type of extract or concentrat? like what I'd have to buy at my LHBS or can I grab something from the grocery store, like you'd get vanilla extract or cinimon extra and so forth?
My LHBS had a VERY small selection, but I work next to a place that has all sorts of cooking stuff.
Would there be anything to look for or stay away from?

I believe as long as the extract is just that, the flavor extract, then you should be okay. Concentrate is a different thing though, it contains sugars, which will start fermentation again.

I added a Blueberry extract in my American Wheat during secondary fermentation. Directions on the bottle called for 2 oz. per 5 gals. Well me being me and never really believing in manufactures suggested directions added about 3 1/2 oz. to the beer and left it for a week before bottling. I always pour a small sample to taste out of curiosity and came away hoping that while aging in the bottle that it comes away with a more ample taste of the blueberry when I go drink it in two weeks on memorial day weekend.

The employee at my LBHS actually advised against adding the fruit extract to the fermenter. His theory was that the bubbling action during fermentation would dull the fruit flavor.

I find this to be truth now after my recent experience. Don't get me wrong, there is still a subtle blueberry flavor after adding 2 oz. of extract at pitch, but maybe too subtle??

I'm scared I'll overdo it, and make it far too flavored, but I'm considering another 1/2 oz. since I decided on putting it in a secondary.

Thoughts?

Pretty sure fermentation is DONE.

I recently did a strawberry blonde with extract (2gal regular and 2gal with the extract). I ended up using 1 oz of the extract, which was about half that was called for (5oz in 5 gal). Turned out awesome. Good nose on it, with a subtle tartness. If it ends up too strong you can always make it again

My experience with "flavored" beer is this,
1) All flavored beers continue to gain flavor intensity as they age
2) If you flavor your brew until it tastes "right", it will most likely be overpowering after 2 to 3 months.
I realize everybody's tastes are different, and my experience may not even be like yours was, so I say this: Go easy on your flavoring for your first batch, if you need more at drinking time, add it to the glass, as too much is awful.

My experience with "flavored" beer is this,
1) All flavored beers continue to gain flavor intensity as they age
2) If you flavor your brew until it tastes "right", it will most likely be overpowering after 2 to 3 months.
I realize everybody's tastes are different, and my experience may not even be like yours was, so I say this: Go easy on your flavoring for your first batch, if you need more at drinking time, add it to the glass, as too much is awful.

I'm taking this advice. Still not knowing what will happen after three weeks of conditioning, and even longer sitting in storage, the flavor may become much more prominent. Especially with carbonation.

Back