2.25 # of lactose in a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I had a customer come into my store today and he had his recipe in hand that he got off the net. It is a stout of some kind using a bunch of lactose 2 1/4# of the stuff in a 5 gallon batch to be exact and an irish ale yeast. I have never seen a recipe call for that much lactose in a 5 gallon batch. He bought it anyway and out the door he went. I am building him a false bottom so I will see him again before he brews his beer. Wondering if anyone can shed some light for me on that much lactose in a beer?
Cheers
Jay

So I had a customer come into my store today and he had his recipe in hand that he got off the net. It is a stout of some kind using a bunch of lactose 2 1/4# of the stuff in a 5 gallon batch to be exact and an irish ale yeast. I have never seen a recipe call for that much lactose in a 5 gallon batch. He bought it anyway and out the door he went. I am building him a false bottom so I will see him again before he brews his beer. Wondering if anyone can shed some light for me on that much lactose in a beer?
Cheers
Jay

You might ask him where he got it from and double check the recipe to see if he even got it right.

Did a quick google and see 2.5 lbs or lots of things in stouts, but none is lactose. Is it possible he thinks it is fermentable and will give an alcohol boost if he adds more than the recipe calls for?

You might ask him where he got it from and double check the recipe to see if he even got it right.

Did a quick google and see 2.5 lbs or lots of things in stouts, but none is lactose. Is it possible he thinks it is fermentable and will give an alcohol boost if he adds more than the recipe calls for?

thinking about it... I could see a 10 gallon batch with that amount of lactose.
Curious if there was some math mistake somewhere.

thinking about it... I could see a 10 gallon batch with that amount of lactose.
Curious if there was some math mistake somewhere.

ya I thought so too. But it was printed directly off the net. I am going to ask to see the recipe again when he comes to pick up his false bottom, maybe look at where its from. I just dont want to see this guy brew a batch of syrup ya know.
Thanks guys

Can I say, "GROSS"? Hard to even imagine a beer with that much lactose and I don't find lactose all that sweet.

I suspect the stuck will happen around 1.040, with 20 points of lactose in it.

Latest posts

Back