using a bag for hop plugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
So far with everything I've brewed, I've used hop pellets. they were out at my lhbs so i got plugs. would i use them any differently? What if I were to put them into one of these muslin bags I have here? I've heard of people doing this before. Then when would I take the bag out, after the boil? or after fermentation?

thanks

You can put the plugs in a bag if you want. I've never worked with them, but if I understand they are just compressed leaf hops. I never put my leaf hops in a bag and just throw them in the pot. You can attach a paint strainer to the end of your racking cane as a filter when you transfer the wort into the fermenter.

jonp,
Here's what I do. Your results may vary.

I put all my hops, be they pellets, plugs or leaf into a muslin bag/bags.
Bittering, flavoring or aroma, I keep them in the pot while I'm cooling the wort. Before pitching into the primary, I squeeze the bags back into the wort to remove most of the flavor. I then proceed to remove the bag/bags before I pitch into my primary and add the yeast.
Hope this helps.

I use the hop socks (muslin bags) for all my hops. I prefer plugs over pellets, but I don't dry hop. It works well enough.

Back