Dry hopping with Galena

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an APA in the fermenter and my LHBS didn't have the hop I wanted for dry hopping so I picked up some Galena. Now that I have it I read that Galena is normally used for bittering as it is a bit harsh for aroma hop. Anyone have experience using Galena for dry hopping?

I've never used it for dry hopping, but a few weeks ago, I brewed a couple batches where I used it for bittering. I took S.G. samples last night, and when I tasted the samples, I've gotta say - I'm not a fan. Even though I boiled them for an hour, there's a distinct flavour that still made it through, kind of earthy or grassy. I much prefer Cascade (although it's a much lower AA content for bittering). Problem is, I still have 2 ounces of Galena left and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. Maybe it'll grow on me after the batches are cold and carb'd.

Back