mini fridge Fermentation Chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
Ok I got my refer gutted. My question is how do I bypass the Temp control knob? Also is there a way to flatten out the evaporator or will i have to use it as is

dont move the evaporator. Dont bypass the knob just buy a thermostat controller

I took everything out. it was a small frige and wouldn't fit a fermenter in it. i removed the evap the coil and compressor. I am going to build a larger insulated box and use this to cool it. do i plug straight into the compressor?

Use either one of these or one of these... Several of the vendors listed on the main site (in the vendors section) carry them...

I wouldn't look to modify a fridge/freezer any more than slightly... That way, you can always revert it back to it's original purpose without issue.

Without knowing the size of the fridge, first, it's not easy to say how to go about it... But, I've seen enough people simply take the door off of a small (dorm/bar size) fridge, build an insulated box to go around it, and use it as the source of cooling air for a fermentation chamber. Mate it with a controller, and you're golden. Plus, chances are the controller will last longer than the fridge you just ripped apart... means you'll be able to use it on what you get to replace the first one, or two, or three... :D

I have a temp controller on the way. I just need to know how to bypass the stock controller. I don't care about using the frige again I made the decision to cannibalize knowing I will never use it as a frige again. I didn't use the whole frige because my space is super limited and I wouldn't be able to fit it where I need it to go. This way I get the most out of my space and.

If you want to go a bit crazy, you can pull the full assembly out and retrofit it into your own creation, ala this.

However that is a lot of work and only do if needed. As far as the temp controller is concerned, you could just crank it to it lowest settings and leave it, however if you want to lose the whole contraption, there is a control box attached to the compressor that you can also remove the temp controller from and wirenut the power line straight to the compressor and then use your own temp controller for controlling the ferm box.

Just put the fridge on the lowest setting and use the external temperature controller.

M_C

+1

M_C beat me to the post... You don't dink around with the fridge's controls, the JC simply turns the fridge on and off to maintain the temperature you set it to (within the tolerance of the unit)... Just be sure to place the probe inside the chamber. Often people place it either inside a water jug, about the same thickness, or use a thermowell to place it inside of the fermenter. That way, you'll maintain the temperature you're looking for better... I would probably try the thermowell option, so that you can better maintain the wort's fermentation temperature. Since that will usually be above the ambient temp due to the heat the yeast will produce.

Back