Wine Experiment turned into Quality Champagne...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opsamk

Reaction score
in6dlc.jpg

Yea, I was screwing around with my very first wine brew along with root beer brew and this diagram I created before my first batch of wine. It only took 2 days for the wine to reach peak concentration(all sugar depleted) at around 10% alcohol content. My first impression was it tasted like tires but only a few cups got me really drunk(bad mistake), was an interesting experiment. I left half a bottle sitting in the corner in the dark, not knowing what to do with the bad tasting wine, it just sat there for 2 months. Today I decided to see what horrible sight I might see and brought it out of the corner. What I didnt realize was that it was not finished fermenting and it carbonated+pressurized itself right after I opened it 2 months ago. After 2 months it also turned very clear and pinkish. After twisting the cap, it released quite a good amount of pressure(surprised it didnt blow during those 2 months), the scent was very sweet like roses. After making sure it wasnt contaminated, I tasted it and it tasted like a top quality champagne, I was blown away. Either I was very lucky or I did something right.

The problem is, there was only a cup and a half left :(

Sounds like you got lucky.....

Time to make another bigger batch..... This time, go make yourself spend the $0.89 and buy an actual S-type air lock rather than a balloon full of activated charcoal......

I have had good luck fermenting in smaller bottles by drilling a hole down through a poly cork and shoving the air lock stem into the cork - then shoving that into the bottle.... (I had 1.5 gallons of must and only 1 one gallon bottle.... When I eventually racked it off the lees, the wine fit into the 1 gallon bottle.)

Thanks

Back