Transfering from secondary to...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy_B

Reaction score
Ok, so I am in a bit of a situation and don't know what to do. I am extremely new to this (only have 2 batches done), and currently have a 3rd in the secondary. I transfered to the secondary 5 days ago and added 1oz of cascade hops. Currently I have 2 kegs, both of which are full. What should I do with this batch that is currently in the secondary? I don't want to leave it on the hops too long, but don't have a keg to transfer to. Can I transfer to another carboy to eliminate the hops, then transfer to a keg once I empty one?

Edit: Oh, and I forget to mention they are pellets..not sure if that makes a difference or not!

Pellet hops tend to settle out in a week or so. Once you don't want it on the hops anymore, I'd just rack it into a glass carboy and set it aside until you have a keg ready. That or bottle it.

You've done two batches.....both kegs are full....get drinking! I've known guys to dry hop for a few weeks without problem but I wouldn't go too much longer. It'll get a grassy taste. Racking back and forth so many times isn't the best idea but if your sanitation and technique is solid you'll be fine. Pellets aren't a problem at all. Just be careful when racking not to suck up the sludge from the secondary. Sounds like you're building a nice pipeline though. Keep 'em coming.

phew! Thats the answer I was hoping for..I will rack it to my spare carboy for the time being, should have one of the kegs empty soon!

Latest posts

Back