Ooops.... Forgot to add hops....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I'm a *******. Brewing a Raspberry Chocolate Stout for a friend (he tried mine and immediately demanded i brew him a batch :mug: ) and i forgot to add hops until 30 min left in the boil. It was only 1 oz of hops and it is a stout so I should be good ok? I shouldn't need to boil it longer right?

it'll be drinkable, just not as bitter as your previous batch. A 60 minute addition contributes bite or bitterness, the 30 minute addition is for flavoring.

Unless he's a real beer snob I wouldn't worry about it too much.

He loves his stout and would probably tell a difference between mine and his batch he's getting. So should i just boil a little longer and just add enough water in the end to make up for extra volume lost? Would that fix this?

If it's still in the pot now, yes. Otherwise forget it and say nothing - dollars to donuts he never notices.

Yes, the point of a 60 minute boil is to extract the bitterness from the 60 minute hops. The wort doesn't really need that long- it's the hops that do. So, whenever you boil, you actually start your timer at the first hops addition. So, when you add the first hops, you set the timer for 60 minutes. All the rest of the additions are timed from that time on. Since you have no other hops anyway, your 60 minute boil is fine. Start timing your boil when you add the first hops, always!

Yeah i just let it boil for another 25 minutes so it should be good. I normally never forget the hops but someone called and had me on the phone for a while and i got distracted. I didn't lose a whole lot of volume in the rest of the boil so i should be able to make it up by just adding extra water to the fermentor.

Back