Hitting mashout/sparge temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewiz

Reaction score
Did my first ag today and all went pretty good until I went to sparge had a hard time getting the mash at 170 when trying to sparge. I had 14.5 pounds of grain and mashed with 5 gal water, hit OG OF 1.066 which was right on per Pro Mash. Check out gallery..Any comments/suggestions are welcomed..I love ALL-GRAIN.......

flhrpi said:
Did my first ag today and all went pretty good until I went to sparge had a hard time getting the mash at 170 when trying to sparge. I had 14.5 pounds of grain and mashed with 5 gal water, hit OG OF 1.066 which was right on per Pro Mash. Check out gallery..Any comments/suggestions are welcomed..I love ALL-GRAIN.......

heya, i did my first brew today which also happened to be an AG

what I did for that was keep my propane burner nearby, backed a truck under my carport, put down tailgate, mash tun on tailgate. remove 5gal water (this doesnt include mash, mash is already in tun..this is 5g of water) from burner which is @ 170, poured water from this via a 2 quart pitcher ,..about 2.5-3gal per siphon, after doin this id take the boilpot from the burner, put it under the mash tun, siphon hard and get it goin right back into the boil pot.., rinse repeat, after every 2 xfers I'd restir the boilpot while on the burner, doing whatever with the heat to maintain 170.

so my recommendation is to have a propane burner near the elevation or whatever you're using to get the wort from the mash tun to the boiler and b4 u sparge, have a pitcher nearby and handy along with 5gal water @ 170 before starting. hope i helped you out, good luck in brewing, im sure the batch'll be fine.

Back