Once you AG, do you extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see, my electric AG system can crank out 10 gal in 4 hours.
I use hot tap water that is passed through a filter, cuts heating my strike water time in half!
220V system with a plate chiller, and cooooooold water!
I sparge into buckets and start my boil with the first running's, again saves time.

I can make 10 gal in 4 hours, that's 2 hrs per 5gal batch!
I can't afford the time or expense to go back to extract.

I hate to join the thread late, but justed started a the same/similar post..
I brew extract only for 2+yrs, but it takes about 4-6hrs/day to get through everything. When I did extract I was 2hrs max for the day. I am going to throw in an extract about every other brew just to save time and gain some family time.

I hate to join the thread late, but justed started a the same/similar post..
I brew extract only for 2+yrs, but it takes about 4-6hrs/day to get through everything. When I did extract I was 2hrs max for the day. I am going to throw in an extract about every other brew just to save time and gain some family time.
Definitely throw in an extract brew once in a while. Not just to save time, mind you...to grow yeast!

If a new brewer wants help, I'll do a kit with them. Their is nothing like running a brutus brewstand full on, boiling and mashing at the same time. That said, last brew day I had was in October, stuff came up, then I fell through a deck.

This is the big issue I have. If I had a specific brewery area, wher all my equipment stayed, all I had to do was light burners and add water, there is no doubt I could get an all grain batch done in probably 4 hours. I spend a lot of time Moving things up to where I brew, then taking them down to where I store them. I do count all of that in. It's really the only part I don't enjoy, luggin all the stuff around.

This! Hauling EVERYTHING up and down a flight of stairs and outside really makes the whole experience a *****, even with extract. I've done AG, it worked well, but it's just so horribly impractical for me that I'll never do it again (until I move somewhere I can build a dedicated brew room).

This! Hauling EVERYTHING up and down a flight of stairs and outside really makes the whole experience a *****, even with extract. I've done AG, it worked well, but it's just so horribly impractical for me that I'll never do it again (until I move somewhere I can build a dedicated brew room).

This is why I took over the laundry room!
I bought a house that was wired for an electric dryer, but I had a gas one.
I had a plumber hook up the gas dryer but what to do with the unused 220V electric outlet.

Hmmmm, what can I use that for?

I had was in October, stuff came up, then I fell through a deck.

I'm really, really sorry, but that made me laugh. How did you manage to fall through a deck? Sounds painful 0_0

I did one batch of extract and then moved on to small batch stove-top all grain. I've done a couple partial mashes on bigger beers, but never extract again. Just got a five gallon Igloo cooler so now I'm really not turning back!

When I tell my deck story everyone laughs. I was carrying a 80cf tank of argon gas out to the car and as I was going out the back door on the deck, I found a board that was old and broke. So down I go, first thought was I broke my leg, then I can move it without pain so I'm OK. then I think crap my left leg is stuck in this deck and this is very uncomfortable, I wish my phone was not in my car. I thought well I can yell for help or rip my leg back out, I did what we all would have done. I though well that could have been worse. I bet I lost a little skin but my paints didn't even rip. So I loaded the tank in the car and went about my day. Two hours later I find my leg is swelling up huge 3or 4 times normal size. Anyway 14 days later and it's mostly back to normal.

hurt leg2.jpg

Latest posts

Back