Ales/IPA tastings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I visited San Francisco and didn't have a chance to visit any really good pubs. I got dragged into a ton of client dinners and didn't think suggesting "98 Beers" as fine dining, etc. I tried any draft brews these restaurants had that I've never tried.

Big Daddy IPA was quite good. It was obviously a Cascade bomb and I'm glad I like that sort of thing.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I know it's weird that I've never had this (I had in a bottle once). On draft, it was great. I'll be trying to clone this one soon.

Lagunita IPA. Holy SH, this was the worst beer I've ever tasted. I really hope it was an old stale keg. It tasted like they forgot to add hops at all. No aroma, no taste, just a bit of bitterness. In all fairness, this was in an Irish Pub so it's possible it doesn't rotate out often enough....but damn.

Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale (bottled). I think they're out of Colorado. Really great. It's definitely a cross between a Scottish ale and an American Amber. More hops than a Scottish for sure.

Anchor Steam... No thanks. Maybe I have no palette but it tastes bland to me. It's like an ale version of Yeungling lager.

Bobby_M said:
Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale (bottled). I think they're out of Colorado. Really great. It's definitely a cross between a Scottish ale and an American Amber. More hops than a Scottish for sure.

Check out a state flag while you're in SF. ;)

Sadly, we get no bear republic love back in the PA. If you bring back some Hop Rod Rye and Racer 5, you will be a popular guy back on the east coast!

Latest posts

Back