Starter Step Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopillar

Reaction score
So this is my first starter and I am doing it in two steps to get to the proper pitching amount. I have already let it do its work for 24 hours with lots happening and placed it in the fridge tonight so that I can decant tomorrow and start the process with the next step of my starter.

My question is can I decant and then pour my new batch of "starter wort" (proper temp of course) on top of the yeast in the pitcher I am using? Or do I need to clean and sanitize that pitcher somehow and re-pitch all of it? Just trying to do it the safest way possible without contamination.

Thanks

Simply pour new wort on top of yeast and let it go. It is most common method in stepping starters. If you kept if sanitized in 1st step it will also be sanitized in 2nd.

Thanks that is what I was assuming I just wanted someone to confirm. I don't always trust my brain!

Back