Please help/critique my Scottish 70/- recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
I think for my next brew I want to brew something nice and malty. I thought that a Scottish 70/- sounded like a good idea. This is the recipe that I came up with. I am going to mash high, around 156 i'm thinking. What do you think?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 40.28 %
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 28.77 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 23.01 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.75 %
0.19 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.19 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

.....and the specs are:

Est Original Gravity: 1.037 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.44 %
Bitterness: 17.4 IBU
Est Color: 14.2 SRM

I would use a pinch of roasted barley instead of the chocolate malt. Otherwise I think this looks quite good. Make sure you ferment on the cool side if you can! (62-65)

That sounds pretty good. I'll take out the chocolate and add two ounces of roasted barley instead (I actually thought about doing this originally). Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Aye! First, let me say that it looks to turn out yummy.

But I have a worry. More than 50% of the mash is Munich and Vienna - both malts that emphasize maltiness and perception of body. If you mash high, you will further increase the body of the beer. I worry that the beer will end up overly unbalanced toward the grain side of the ledger.

Were this my recipe, I'd mash at normal temps - 152? - and let the malts shine in balance with the Fuggles.

Bob

If you mash high, I'd drop the munich and vienna down to about a pound each. With your current grain bill, I'd mash at 152 - 154 area.

I'd also keep the chocolate. You don't want any big roasty flavors but you do want a little and the color. The chocolate is more subdued than the roast barley so the little you add for color will also give some light roast flavor, more roasty flavor than the smaller amount of roast barley would provide.

Back