Question about Ball Valves on Boil Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagbardceline

Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my boil kettle to one with a thermometer and ball valve. I have always racked out of my boil kettle and into a carboy.

What I'm wondering is with all the trub left in the boil kettle how well does it work to drain from a ball valve? Would I want to use a Bazooka screen or false bottom?

I'm looking at a Blichmann Boilermaker 10 gallon.

Thanks for any help.

Don't worry about trub in the Blichmann kettles. If you use hop bags, you'll be 100% fine (it's what I do). I would add a pump to the setup to get better flow towards the end. You can do that later though (don't need it right away).

IMO, you don't need a bazooka screen. IF you plan to mash in te kettle,badd one of their false bottoms. You could add the false bottom from the start to reduce trub, if you want, and if you don't use hop bags.

You planning on getting a plate chiller too? That combo is the BALLS!

If you use a plate chiller, then you really have to be conscious about anything that leaves your kettle. Bobby M created a nice video about making a SS mesh screen for your dip tube. I made one similar to his and it works very well.

Holy Crap those Stout Kettles are awesome! Too bad they won't be shipping until December.

I'll be using an immersion chiller. Thanks a lot of the info. I likely wouldn't be mashing in it. I have been using a cooler to mash in, although if I went with the blichmann I suppose that might be a superior mash tun?

The Stout Kettles look like what I really want now tho! The whrilpool and tall design since I will still be boiling on a stove.

Thanks for all the replies

Back