A brown Pilsener?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
I brewed a pilsener and bottled it 3 weeks ago. I notice it was quite brown for what I always persived should be a clear brew. I used WLP 029 Kolsh yeast. I remember ordering it from an online brew store (that i will not name don't want to bash it) it was labeled as "German Pilsener" it was ambered colored and clear..not the golden color i'm acustomed to. Anyone know why?

need some details about your beer - extract recipe? what was your boil volume?

I see several problems here...

1. It's a kit...assuming there was LME (IMO) you're already at a loss. LME brews are always darker than you expect.
2. Pilsners are lagers. Kolsch's are ales.

Question: Is it brown in the carboy? A brew always gets "darker" in a carboy because the yeast drops out and doesn't reflect the light. So it's really an optical illusion. :D

If it's brown in the glass see #1 again.

Do yourself a giant favor and switch to DME. Your brews will be lighter in color I promise.

And as PintOfBitter said...what's the recipe and boil volume?

no its already been bottled for almost a month now. The Kolch style yeast was the stock yeast that the HB website sent to me when i asked for liquid yeast instead of dry. Yes it was LME

no its already been bottled for almost a month now. The Kolch style yeast was the stock yeast that the HB website sent to me when i asked for liquid yeast instead of dry. Yes it was LME

What were the ingredients? The yeast shouldn't make a beer dark. A kolsch yeast is a weird yeast for a pilsner, but it shouldn't affect the color. A kolsch is an ale, and a pilsner is a lager, so you should use lager yeast. Very strange.

It could of been that I went straight from primary to putting it into my bottling bucket and bottling. Should of let it sitt for a few days to let more sediment drop..usually don't brew light beers. rookie mistake i guess

It could of been that I went straight from primary to putting it into my bottling bucket and bottling. Should of let it sitt for a few days to let more sediment drop..usually don't brew light beers. rookie mistake i guess

No, you might end up with slightly less sediment but you beer will be the same colour. I would go with homebrewers suggestion that LME is generally a bit darker, I have read somewhere that boiling extract also darkens it up some but don't know how much (if any).

Back